XXIX

A/N: By the way, (and I am being completely serious right now) it makes my day that you guys like the cute scenes between Daryl and Riley more than the chapter where they had sex. It is just so fantastic and I love you guys so, so much. (And, this is all purely based off of votes, so I'm going to try and work some more of the cute stuff in going forward). If you would like something different, or new that I haven't done, please comment, or leave a message in my inbox, I want to give you all something you like! Love you guys!

 If you would like something different, or new that I haven't done, please comment, or leave a message in my inbox, I want to give you all something you like! Love you guys!

Once Daryl finally stopped distracting me, I was able to get some actual work done. He was never far, I could see him out of the corner of my eye pretty much all the time, but he let me have the semblance of independence, and now? With me being pregnant, and surrounded by dead humans that want to eat me? A semblance was enough. 

Anyway, I found a lot of stuff, dozens of cans of food, blankets, clothes, and I even found a car seat that I went ahead and stole, since I only had about twenty-two weeks left of my pregnancy, which seems like a long time, but I knew it would go by fast. 

I was putting some clothes in a bag that I had found for Sophia when I was grabbed. I, of course, freaked out. But when I turned around I saw it was Daryl, and he looked scared. He was looking at something behind my head, but before I could look, he was shoving me up into the trunk of the car I had been digging in, wedging in beside me, and shutting it as quickly and quietly as he could behind us.

"What is it?" I whispered, but he just wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his chest. He used his other hand to pull out his knife, and he had it ready to go, ready to kill whoever opened that door. 

Instead of focusing on whatever was going on out there. On the fact that my nephew was out there, that my brother was out there, I tried to focus on Daryl. How slow and steady his breaths were. How, even though I knew he was terrified, and was probably just as worried about Merle as I was about Rick, he still chose to stay in here with me. To protect me. 

I could hear the moans now. It must have been a group of them. They started banging against the side of the car as they walked by, and if I peeked, I could see their ugly faces through the windows. So I didn't peek. I buried my face into Daryl's leather vest, and focused on his breathing. 

In. Out. In. Out. 

Scream. 

That was a little girl's scream... Sophia. 

"Daryl it's Sophia." I hissed out, trying to get out of his grip, but his wrapped his arm holding his knife around my hips and wouldn't let me go. 

"I can't let you go out there. Not yet. Not until it's safe." 

"When will it be safe Daryl? It's never safe. It's Sophia. We have to." Daryl didn't listen to me. Just pulled me tighter until it had to have been at least five minutes since the scream, and four since we had seen a walker pass by our window. 

"I'm going out first okay? You will wait until I say it's clear." I rolled my eyes. 

"Daryl." He didn't think it was funny, or that he was being overbearing at all. 

"Do you understand." It was a statement, a growl really. Not a question. But I nodded anyways, and he popped open the trunk and crawled out, knife first, since he had left his crossbow in the truck. He stood there, looking around for a long few seconds, before finally turning back to me and hauling me out of the truck. 

We didn't speak, just headed in the direction the voices were coming from, and when we got there, Lori and Carol were standing by the railing, looking out into the forest, and Sophia and Rick were nowhere to be seen. 

"Where are Rick and Sophia?" I asked, looking at everyone, but the only one to meet my eye was Shane. 

"Sophia was chased into the woods by some walkers. Rick went after her."

"What the fuck are we doing here? Let's go help them!" I yelled, pulling my gun and going to move over the rail, but I was grabbed before I could. 

"You're not going out there." Surprisingly, it wasn't Daryl who grabbed me this time. It was Shane. 

"Get your damn hands off of me! Who the hell do you think you are? I will do what I damn well please, just like I always have. Now get the fuck out of my way so I can go get them." Shane backed off, but Daryl took his place, shooting a glare at Shane that I'm sure had nothing to do with him letting me go, and more to do with him touching me. 

"Riley..." Daryl began, but I cut him off before he could finish. 

"Are you coming, or am I doing this without you." Daryl glanced between me and Shane for a moment before sighing and looking at the ground. 

"I'm coming. Let me get my crossbow. Stay." I rolled my eyes at his command, but did end up staying while he fetched his bow. (Haha get it? Stay, fetch. I thought it was funny.) When he finally came back, he helped me over the railing, and then led me down the hill into the woods. 

"Can you find them?" I whispered to him once we were deep enough that the rest of the group wouldn't be able to hear us. Daryl looked at me over his shoulder with a smirk, before looking back at the forest floor. 

"Easy as pie. Your brother leaves some big ass tracks."