LIII

"Not bad

"Not bad." I could hear Daryl say from somewhere down below, as I woke up the next morning. 

"Flashbangs, CS Triple-Chasers. Not sure how they'd work on walkers, but we'll take them." I heard Rick say, and I started to get out of bed, so I could see what they were talking about. By the time I had made it out of the room, and to the top of the stairs, Daryl had picked up something, and dropped it back on the table. 

"I ain't wearing this shit." It looked like a helmet, with some kind of ooze coming out of it. I walked down the stairs, moving closer to them so I could figure out what was going on. 

"We could boil them." T-Dog said, holding up something else. 

"Ain't enough firewood in the whole forest, no! Besides, we've made it this far without them right?" Before anyone else could say anything, I had finally made my way up to Daryl's side from behind him, and grabbed his hand, making him jump, and yank it away from me in shock, before looking back at me, and grabbing my hand back into his. 

"Sorry love. Didn't know it was you." Daryl whispered, as Carol made her way over to the group. I just chuckled and kissed his bare arm, since that was the only thing I could reach without stretching, and listened to Carol when she started to speak. 

"Hershel?" She asked, holding the door open that blocked this area from the rest of the cell blocks. 

"Everything alright?" Rick asked, as Hershel made his way over to her. 

"Yeah, nothing to worry about." Carol said calmly, but I could see the fear in her eyes as Hershel made his way over to her. I glanced up at Daryl, and saw he was already looking at me. 

"Go see what's going on." He mumbled, and I nodded and went off after them, barely making it to Lori's door when I heard her speak. 

"It's the baby, I think I lost it." She was saying, tears in her eyes as I moved into the room. I glanced at Hershel and Carol, who both were standing there, with weird looks on their faces, and I decided it was probably a good thing I came. 

"Why do you think that Lori?" I said gently, moving in to sit next to her on her bed. 

"I haven't felt it move!" She whispered, miserably, and I couldn't help but laugh. 

"Lori. You're only two months pregnant. You know you won't be able to feel the baby move for at least another ten weeks. It's fine. I didn't feel anything until I was at six months. Lori. Your baby is fine." Lori looked up at me, looking slightly less hysterical, but still at the edge. 

"If we're all infected, then so is the baby. So what if it's stillborn? What if it's dead inside me right now, what if it rips me apart?" Lori cried, and my hand automatically shot to my stomach, as her fears started to sink into me. What if that happened to me? Daryl would be devastated. 

"Stop. Don't let your fear take control of you." Hershel said, glancing at me as well. 

"Okay. Let's say it lives, and I die during childbirth." Lori continued, but Hershel cut her off. 

"That's not going to happen."

"Why not? How many women died in childbirth before modern medicine? If I come back, what if I attack it? Or you, Rick, Carl, Riley, her baby? If I do, if there is any chance, you put me down immediately, you don't hesitate! Me, the baby, if we're walkers, you don't hesitate, and you don't try to save us! Okay?" Lori cried, and after a second, Hershel hesitantly nodded. 

"It might have been better if..." Lori said, trailing off, still crying. 

"If what?" Hershel said gently, moving to sit on her other side. 

"If I'd never made it off the farm." 

"You're exhausted, frightened."

"Yeah, that's true. My son can't stand me. And my husband, after what I put him through."

"We've all been carrying that weight. Since the farm..."

"I tried to talk to him. He..."

"He'll come around."

"He hates me. He's too good a man to say it, but... I know. I put him and Shane at odds, I put that knife in his hands!"

"You know who doesn't give a shit about that? This baby. Now let's make sure everything's alright." Hershel said, moving to get his stethoscope out, but I just couldn't sit there anymore. 

"Excuse me." I mumbled, rushing out of the cell before any of them could stop me, hands clutched to my stomach protectively, as I raced out of the cells, and up to our room, blazing past a very confused Rick and Daryl on the way. And based on the pounding footsteps I heard following me up the stairs, I knew Daryl wasn't going to let me just work through it on my own. 

He was going to want me to talk about it. But I couldn't. What if he agreed with her? What if he thought I should've never made it off the farm? What if he hated me for making him love me? What would he do if I died? If this baby killed me? God... what if the baby died? Would he hate me? 

A/N: Hey guys!! Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much for the votes/reads, they mean so much to me! Also, we are getting close to the end of this book! Ahh!! Just a few more chapters!