XLVII

"Alright, we're gonna stay here for tonight, like always, up by dawn guys

"Alright, we're gonna stay here for tonight, like always, up by dawn guys. Merle, T, you two have first watch. Maggie, Glenn, second." No one said anything, it's been pretty quiet honestly since we left the farm, but everyone did as told anyway, and began to pile into the small gas station that Daryl, Merle, Rick, Carl and T-Dog had already cleared while we all waited in the car.

"Ri, I got us a spot, come on." Daryl grunted out quietly, gently helping me out of the pick-up. I just nodded up at him, and grabbed my backpack from the floorboard and patted my thigh so Bailey would hop out. Once she did, I slammed the door shut and followed after Daryl, who was scanning the trees. 

He's always ready, always looking for something that could hurt me. Hurt us, I guess. 

Once I was through the door, I glanced back at him, trying not to get knocked by everyone else shuffling around the small space, and he gestured for me to go towards the back, where the counter was. I meandered my way over there, stepping over bodies and trash from the shelves. 

Carol was laying near T-Dog, who was sat on the front windowsill, on watch. Personally, I think they have something going on but that's just me. And Merle was on the other window, on the side, next to the only other door that led out to the bathrooms, which were accessed from outside. 

Carl was chewing on a chocolate bar, on his sleeping bag, hat still on his head, chatting with Beth, who was, as always, surrounded by Hershel, Maggie, and Glenn. And Rick and Lori were near them, but neither were looking at each other. 

After deftly maneuvering my way through everyone, I threw my bag down behind the counter, where Daryl had apparently decided was the safest place in the store, since that was the spot he always claimed for us, and began to take my hair out of it's braid, and beginning my normal night routine, at least, what I could still do since I didn't have most of my stuff, but I did still have a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a bottle of water to rinse it out after. 

By the time I had finished brushing my teeth, Bailey had laid down beneath the counter, in the small space where there probably used to be a chair, and Daryl had set up our 'bed' and laid a few boxes between us and the rest of the room, blocking us off from the rest of the world. He always did this, and the last time I had asked him why, all he had said was 'just in case' and the way he said it... well I didn't want to ask him to explain. 

"Your turn babe." I said quietly, handing him over his toothbrush, that we had picked out at a convince store a week ago, after I had said that I wouldn't kiss him if he didn't brush his teeth, since his breath smelled so bad. He took it from my hand with no fuss, and about a minute later, I was handing him over the water bottle to rinse his mouth out, and then I was leaning down for my much awaited kiss. 

My nausea has been just... horrible the past week or so, and since it came back, any smells have made me vomit, which, in a world where we can't waste resources, mainly water, it only makes sense to brush your teeth once a day, maybe once every other day, or not at all for a few days, if you're running low on water. And that isn't doing anything good for our physical relationship, since Daryl, admittedly, doesn't have the greatest smelling breath after a full day of eating whatever we can find, plus no gum, and any whiff of his possum breath makes me vomit. So, the only kisses we get really, and right after we brush our teeth, or on days where we don't get to eat, which adds a whole other problem. 

After enjoying my daily kiss for a good twenty minutes or so, Daryl finally pulled away, both of us heaving breaths, very much aroused, and very much aware of our family just on the other side of the counter. 

"I can't wait to find somewhere. A home. And not just because it would be safe, and it would be great for us, and for the baby... but I really miss you." Daryl whispered hoarsely, running his rough thumb down my cheek, his eyes raveling its path, and then continuing down further to my heaving chest. 

"Me too... it'll happen... in time. We will find something." I said quietly, trying not to wake anyone around us. 

"What if we don't?" Daryl whispered, moving his hand from may face to my side, rubbing the side of my bump, chuckling a little when the baby kicked there. 

"I don't know. I'm scared Daryl. I don't want to give birth out here." I whispered, staring at his chin, instead of his eyes so he wouldn't see how scared I actually was. It's hard enough giving birth to a baby... let alone out here, surrounded by things that want to eat you, and will come when they hear your screams, plus the whole no medical equipment thing. 

I had never been a natural birth person. My plan was always to give birth in a hospital, where it is clean, and safe and prepared for anything that could go wrong. Plus the drugs. I had never thought that I would be giving birth to a baby without drugs. 

"That won't happen. I won't let it. We will find somewhere. I'll find somewhere. I won't let anything happen to you Riley." Daryl said gently, but he sounded so incredibly sure of himself. After a second of no response, he grabbed my chin and pulled my face up so I had to look at him, and when he did he stared at me, his Georgian blue eyes boring into my green ones. 

"I love you Riley. And I'm not going to let anything happen to you or our baby." I felt the tear fall, but I didn't look away, I let him see it. How he makes me feel, how my heart races whenever he looks at me. How I catch on fire when he says he loves me. And how I feel like I'm flying when he calls our baby ours

"I love you too. So much."