L

We all hustled up to the fence, weapons drawn, and ready for any of the stray walkers who were aimlessly walking around the edge of the clearing

We all hustled up to the fence, weapons drawn, and ready for any of the stray walkers who were aimlessly walking around the edge of the clearing. Rick used the wire cutters to cut open the fence, while we all defended him. 

There was a walker advancing on me, and I was getting ready to stab it with the knife Daryl had given me, when suddenly there was a bolt through its head. I whipped my head to the right, where Daryl was standing, but he just shrugged at me, and we got back to business. 

"Watch the backside!" Rick hollered, and when I glanced to where Carol and Lori were standing, I saw that they had three advancing on them, but no one moved, keeping formation, just like Rick had taught us. 

"Got it." Lori called back to him, moving forward with Carol and dispatching the three walkers quickly. 

"Hurry!" Rick called to us, and I noticed that he had made his hole, and was holding it open from the inside, waiting for us. We all scrambled in, Glenn and Daryl last, since they had the clips to close it back up again. Daryl almost got his fingers bit off by an approaching walker, but I stabbed it in the head before it could get him, and then it was over. 

We were in. 

Well... not really. We were in the dog run, the space between the two sets of fences where guards used to patrol before. But, we were safe for now, but this isn't what we wanted. Rick led us down the run, circling around the perimeter of the prison until we reached the main gate, which Rick slid shut, latched it, looked up at the courtyard full of walkers, and then he turned to look at us with a grin. 

"It's perfect. If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight." Rick said, moving away from the entrance gate, to the second gate. The inside one, the one that leads to the field, filled with walkers, that were still slowly trickling in from a different gate further up, the gate that separated the field from the prison. 

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked, looking up at the gate that was a good distance from where we were. 

"I'll do it. You guys cover me." Glenn said nervously, but he seemed ready, and it was honestly probably our best bet. He is the fastest. 

"No, it's a suicide run." Maggie said, squaring up with her boyfriend. I mean I get it, if Daryl said he would do it, I'd be throwing a bitch fit. Hell, even if Merle said something that stupid. 

"I'm the fastest." Glenn argued, but I think he knew he was going to lose this one, and apparently Rick agreed. 

"No. You, Maggie, T-Dog and Beth draw as many as you can over there." He pointed back to where we came from, and then continued with his orders. "Pop them through the fence. Daryl, you Riley and Merle, go back to that other tower over there. Carol, you take the one next to it. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot, take your time, we don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl, take this tower. Lori, get the gate." 

"Alright." Carl said, and everyone started moving to get to our stations, but I couldn't help but be worried about Rick. Honestly, he's not very fast. This could kill him. His only saving grace, would be if he could shut it, and then somehow get up into the guard tower next to that gate. 

Once we were all in position, Glenn, T, Maggie, and Beth started screaming for the walkers from their position at the fence, and popping their heads through the holes. Once they had a good majority of them over there, Rick nodded at Lori, she yanked the gate open, and then Rick was running through the field, towards the open gate that was causing so many problems.

I could hear them yelling for the walkers down below, but I ignored them, and the shots coming from Daryl and Merle's  guns on either side of me, and instead, I focused on the bullets coming out of my guns, where the connected, mostly in the heads of the walkers that were getting to close to Rick, and trying desperately not to let my fear for my brother's safety overcome my focus. 

Once he finally shut the gate, latching it closed with one of Glenn's clips, he sprinted to the tower near the gate, and I shot the walker that almost got his arm when he was distracted with opening the door, and making sure there were no walkers inside, but as soon as he was in, all gunfire stopped, all of us waiting for orders. 

"He did it!" I heard Carol yell from the tower next to us, but I ignored her, waiting for Rick to appear at the top of the tower, and a minute later, there he was. 

"Light it up!" Daryl called, and everyone, even the ones stuck on the fence down below, pulled their guns and started shooting, and two minutes later, all the walkers were dead, and it was silent.