LII

"Ready?" Hershel said, and Rick yanked the gate open, leading us into the courtyard full of walkers

"Ready?" Hershel said, and Rick yanked the gate open, leading us into the courtyard full of walkers. It was Rick, T-Dog, Merle, Maggie, Glenn and I, against the walkers that were trapped here, while Riley and the others were sticking the ones that they could through the fence. 

We moved in with ease, staying in formation and fighting hand to hand. It was going good, we had cleared the first courtyard, and were moving in further, when we encountered the guards. They were dressed out, wearing body armor, and most importantly, helmets. 

While Maggie and I worked on figuring out how to kill the guards, the others went further in, trying to kill the walkers in that courtyard, and close the gate to keep more from coming in. I finally managed to kill mine, following Maggie's lead, I shoved my arrow up under it's chin, and it dropped, but then I heard my name being called. 

"Daryl!" It was Rick, he was trying to close the gate, but was struggling, so I ran over, stabbed the one making it difficult, and then helped him slam the gate closed, and latched it, using one of Glenn's clips. 

And finally, it was silent again, except for the soft moans going from the courtyard we had blocked off. 

"Looks secure." Glenn said, gazing around, but I noticed something. Civilians. 

"Nothing will lead to that courtyard over there. And that's a civilian." I mumbled, pointing to the one I had killed, that was definitely not an inmate, or a guard. 

"So the interior could be over run by walkers from outside the prison." T-Dog finished my thought, looking over at the cell block we had been planning on using. 

"Well, if there's walls down, then, what are we gonna do? We can't rebuild this whole place." Glenn said frantically, and I could feel the panic beginning to settle into my chest. Riley can't stay out there. This has to work. It has to be okay. 

"We can't risk a blind spot. We have to push in." Rick said, and everyone nodded, following me to the cell block door, that I held open. 

When we stepped in, it was silent. It was cool in here, like a cement cave, but it did have a smell. Like watered-down death. No one said anything, just split up and started looking around, clearing the block. But there were only a few walkers, trapped in their cells, which we dispatched off quickly. Rick found some keys, so after we unlocked all the doors, and dragged the bodies out, we brought in everyone else. 

"So what do you think?" Rick said, as everyone came in, but my eyes were locked on Riley. She looked happy, I suppose. I know that this wasn't the most beautiful place, but it would do for now. 

"Home sweet home." Glenn said snarkily, as he took his stuff up to a cell. 

"For the time being." Rick said, and I decided to move to get Riley's stuff from her. 

"It's secure?" Lori asked from somewhere behind me, as I took all the bags out of Riley's hands. 

"This cell block is."

"What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel asked. 

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria, and the infirmary." 

"We'll sleep in the cells?" Beth asked, and I turned around to look at everyone else, wrapping my arm around Riley as I did, and she didn't hesitate to lean into me. 

"I found the keys on some guards. Daryl has a set too." Rick said, glancing at me, and I finally decided to speak. 

"Riley and I ain't sleeping in no cage. We'll take the perch." When no one argued, I led Riley and Bailey up to the perch, which was where the guards used to sit, and watch above the main area of the block. It was like a glass bubble with a door, but it would do. 

"This alright?" I asked quietly, looking over at Riley who looked about ready to fall asleep standing up. She didn't sleep well last night, something about being out in the open. 

"It's wonderful Dare." Riley said, dropping into the spinning office chair that had been left behind. I moved over to her, took her face in my hands, and kissed her on the forehead, smiling when she moved her hands up to hold mine. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't give you something better." I whispered hoarsely, pulling back and crouching down in front of her. I watched, as he eyebrows pulled together in confusion, and I couldn't help but think she looked adorable. 

"Daryl. None of this is your fault. It's the zombie apocalypse. You can't be expected to buy me a home, or a ring, or anything like that. Not anymore. It's impossible now. And besides, all I want is you, and our baby. And I have both, so what more could I ask for?" She said gently, moving forward so I was pressed in between her legs. 

"I love you." I whispered, moving my head up the inch that I needed to, so I could kiss her, and when I pulled away, she was beaming. 

"I love you more." I chuckled, pulling away so I could start setting up our bed. 

"Let's not start that again, you were mad at me for like two days last time." I said, moving Bailey over so I could lay the sleeping bags out. 

"Wait. Hold on. Stay here." I said quickly, moving out of the room before she could say anything, and I quickly went to the cells. Mattresses, they have mattresses. It took me a bit to find a cell that wasn't occupied, but when I did, I pulled the two mattresses down, checked them, for anything disgusting, but they seemed alright, so I hauled them back up to our room, and when I entered, Riley hadn't moved, but Bailey was laying at her feet, and they both looked confused. At least, until I shoved the mattresses into the room, and laid them down on the floor, pressed up together, creating, to my best guess anyway, and Queen sized bed. 

A few minutes later, after unzipping the sleeping bags to use as a sheet to lay on, and then unfolding the blankets we've been using since it was getting cold to use as actual blankets, and throwing the pillows down, it was done.

Our redneck bed. 

"Alright, done." I said, looking over at Riley, who was staring at me with this look on her face. 

"What?" I asked awkwardly, my thumb automatically making it's way to my mouth to chew on, my nervous tick that Riley had pointed out weeks ago. Before I could really get started though, she was up, and had pulled my hand away from my mouth, and replaced it with her lips. 

It was sweet, not intense and needy like the kisses had been when we first got together, but I found that I liked these more. I got to enjoy them, bask in the feelings that she gave me. But like always, it was over too soon, and she pulled back. 

"You're just... amazing. Thank you." Riley whispered, before moving to awkwardly lay down, and I unfroze to help her, and seconds later, we were both laying down, and honestly, we didn't even need the second mattress, we were so close together, we could have fit on the twin.