LXV

Let's rewind to right when Carl yelled 'Walkers!'

"Walkers! Look out!" Carl yelled from behind me, and I spun around, frantic. This just had to happen now? It was a swarm of them, moving closer to us quicker than I wanted them to. Before I could pull out my gun, Merle grabbed my arm in his left, and dragged me with him up the stairs, back into the cell block. 

"Run! Riley, run!" Merle was yelling, and I obeyed, running into the cell block, only to run screaming back the way we came from, into the main area of the cell block. 

"What is it?" Merle asked frantically, since he hadn't moved away from the doors, assuming we were safe here. 

"Walkers, cell block, need to go, now!" I hissed frantically, as I moved to the gate to the catacombs, yanked the door open, and then led him down through the maze, twisting and turning, trying to find somewhere that was safe, but every turn had more, creeping towards us, until finally, we were trapped. 

"Through that door! Go! Go!" Merle said frantically, yanking open a door behind me, and shoving me in. I almost fell down the stairs, but I caught myself, holding in the yell from the contraction that was stronger, and longer than the one before. 

"Merle... I can't do this. I'm not ready. Daryl's not here, we're surrounded by walkers, Hershel! Oh god, I need Hershel! He's done this before! I haven't done this before!" I cried frantically, as I paced in the room that I had never seen before, and it was probably the room my baby was going to be born it, the room I might die in. 

"Just... Riley... just breathe. Okay? I'm here. I know I'm not my brother. But I'll do my best... okay?" Before I could say anything else, or move his hands away from my face where he was cupping my cheeks, the door was yanked open, and three bodies came stumbling in. 

Merle raised his gun to shoot, but before he could, they started talking. 

"The door won't close!" The smaller one said. 

"Carl?" I whispered out desperately, and they all turned to look at us, and I could faintly make out Carl, Lori, and Maggie's faces, all looking incredibly relieved to see us. 

"Ahh!" I cried, as another strong contraction blazed through me. I could feel hands grabbing me, moving me to the ground, but I didn't know whose they were. When I could focus again, I saw Lori in front of my face, seeming very concerned, with Maggie and Carl flanking them, and I'm assuming that the soft, comfortable thing holding me was Merle, unless they found a dead walker body for me to use as a body pillow.

"What are those alarms?" I mumbled out, and I felt the arms around me tighten. Definitely Merle, and not a zombie. 

"Don't worry about that." Maggie mumbled gently, moving to sit by my side, and gripping my hand tightly in hers. 

"What if it attracts them?" I heard Carl whisper to Lori, but she hushed him, so I pretended not to hear it. 

"Can you stand?" Lori asked gently, inches away from my face, but I knew I couldn't. I couldn't feel my legs, something was wrong, and I knew they could tell.