xxiii. the maze

▪▪▪▪▪

▪▪▪▪▪

" Tell me it isn't true?"

Her words run cold and icy in the summer air. The sun had faded many hours ago and now all that was left was the bright moon shining down on the exit of the maze. The maze which had brought so much pain and loss within the four hours they were stuck inside it, fighting for their lives.

James Potter turns around to be greeted by Dawn but then he saw her swollen eyes, bruising face and weak stance. She had been drenched in blood and mud. Her hair which had been in the perfect braid hours before hand was now dirty, messy and unkept. His eyes widened.

" Dawn what happened-"

" Are you my father?"

James heart plumped in his chest at the words.

▪▪▪▪▪
S E V E N H O U R S E A R L I E R
▪▪▪▪▪

Once the day of the final task arrived, Dawn found herself making her way down to the Quidditch pitch which was surely converted into a twenty-foot maze by now.

Dawn was in a good mood. She was excited for the task, she had preferred herself by going for a run this morning alongside Colleen ( who was trying to get her summer body ) and Drew.

" I'm excited." Dawn mentions over at Cedric who nods with a small smile. " I think I'm gonna win. Scratch that I know I'm gonna win."

Cedric scoffs, " Thats only because you have a head-start and you get to do it with Harry."

She stopped walking. That wasn't true. Dawn wanted to win fair and square. She wanted the money to be frank. Maybe she could buy shoes, and strawberries. The two things Dawn loved the most in the world.

" Fine, how about I do the task alone? Yeah, I don't need Har, I can do it all by myself."

Cedric rose an eyebrow. " Really?"

Dawn looks him dead in the eyes. " Have fun loosing."

Five minutes later stands at the entrance of the maze beside James and Marlene. She had gone to Professor Dumbledore moments before hand and told him she was doing the task alone.

" This is it," Dawn prepares herself as she stands beside James whilst jogging on the spot, he grins at her widely, " The final task! The final task! It's all over now."

James was like a child. " Today is the day."

" I know why I'm excited." Dawn points out. " Why are you excited?"