viii. wicked step mother

▪▪▪▪▪

▪▪▪▪▪

" When am I going back to school?"

From the kitchen table in the Potter household James, and Lily both stop their conversation- Dawn had walked in on the ending of it where James had been teasing Lily about something and Lily appeared to be hitting him with the muffins on the table.

James attention turns toward her, " Why do you want to go back? Aren't you having fun here?"

Dawn thinks for a second, not really.

She looks at James and shrugs.

There was nothing wrong with Godric's Hollow. It was a nice home. That was the issue. It was a home, but not hers. Her room felt like a guest bedroom. She felt like a guest at their home. It wasn't James' fault. She couldn't leave the house either incase the Daily Prophet had lurkers hiding around. Plus she felt awkward and uncomfortable around Lily when James would leave.

James seemed to be thinking. Dawn glanced at him and waits for him to answer.

" Can't I just go back?" Dawn requests after waiting for him to answer, he seemed to be taking his time. " I'll just ignore Umbridge if I see her, and if I get a detention I'll just sit it out-"

" No I'm not letting her away with that." says James immediately linked with his stubbornness, "And you won't be in a room alone with her ever again. I don't know what to do yet about it, but you going back with her being in Hogwarts, not a chance."

Dawn attempts not to roll her eyes but did so discreetly.

She didn't know how she would describe her relationship with James. During the summer she had somewhat decided to give him a second chance, except she hadn't fully forgiven him yet. She had been trying, keyword trying. She had learned to like some things about him;

She liked the fact that he was so intent and when he set his mind to doing something he often succeeded. She liked how he was patient and understanding.

However, She didn't like how protective he was and the fact he treated her like she was five ( according to Harry he was always going to do that ), and she didn't like the fact he kept trying to form a relationship between herself and Lily. He was his wife, she knew that, but they had no relation to one another.

Also, she would never feel as close to him as she would Dave and her mum, the people who raised her.

Something Kathy said to her last week when she visited stuck in her mind, it was when she said that James was somewhat " stuck," with her. It had been in her head ever since. Technically she could see how that was true.