Chapter One

I do not own The Vampire Diaries or The Originals.

Madeline had just finished her last year of High School when it had happened; her parents had died in an awful car accident. Her younger sister - Elena - was the only one who had survived the incident on Wickery Bridge, and although Madeline was devastated at the loss of her parents, she was eternally thankful that she hadn't lost her sister too.

The loss of her parents had hit her hard, and Madeline had called her Aunt Jenna to help look after both of her younger siblings. The older woman was a god send, and Madeline didn't know what she would have done without her Aunt.

"Lee, you need to get up." Madeline knocked on her little sisters' bedroom door, before turning around and making her way towards the next door down the hall. "Come on, Jem, you too. Time for school."

She pulled her long brown hair into a high bun as she walked down the stairs and stepped into the kitchen where Jenna was rushing around, trying to get things in order.

"Good morning." Madeline greeted, making her way towards the pot of coffee on the kitchen counter.

"Morning, Maddie." Jenna greeted with a sigh, "Are the other two out of bed? They are out of bed, aren't they?"

"We're up." Jeremy grumbled, traipsing into the kitchen with Elena close behind him.

"Do you need breakfast? I can make toast!" Jenna supplied, giving Madeline a look, "Even if you only bite around the burnt parts?"

"Coffee is fine, Jenna." Madeline replied, looking down into her steaming cup as she poured in the scalding liquid. "Hey!" She scolded Jeremy as he snatched the mug out of her hands, and added a splash of milk into it for himself.

"Don't you have a presentation?" Elena enquired.

"I do, like, now." Jenna rushed out of the house after handing Jeremy some money for school lunch.

"Hurry up with your breakfasts." Madeline stated, after they all wished Jenna luck. "I'll drive you to school-"

"-I'm getting a lift with Bonnie today." Elena interrupted, "But thanks, Maddie."

"Jem?" Madeline called after her little brother as he shoulder his bag and headed towards the door.

"I'm good." He called over his shoulder, "Later!" The door slammed closed behind him.

"Are you going to be okay today?" Madeline asked her little sister. "I'll come and find you at lunch-"

"-Thanks Maddie, but I'll be fine." Elena smiled, "It's you I'm worried about."

"Right, well," She ran a hand down her face, "It's my job to look out for you. I'm the oldest here. Anyway," She checked her watch. "I'm heading off to the school, I have some choreography work to get done before my first class. If you need anything, come and find me. Anything at all, Lee."

Without waiting for her sister to respond, Madeline headed out of the door and got into her car. It was a tired, old thing - but it got her from A to B. She shifted the car into gear before she pulled out of the driveway and headed towards the school, waving to Bonnie as she passed her on the road.

Her first job since graduating was the Cheerleading Coach for the school. She had been the captain during her years as a student there, and her coach had retired as Madeline's year graduated. Potentially, the cheer squad would have to be disbanded if they couldn't get a replacement - so Madeline applied for the position and got the job. She had named Caroline Forbes to take over her old position as Cheer-Captain.