Chapter Seven

Madeline couldn't shake the conversation out of her head. There had to be many, many reasons as to why Elena would be having a conversation that insane with someone, right? Vampires weren't real. It was just that simple. But there was a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that told her it was true. After all, animal attacks in Mystic Falls where blood had been drained from a human body? The eerie feeling she got when she was with the Salvatore's?

"Are you feeling alright, Lee?" Madeline asked as Elena prepared herself for school. "Have you bumped your head?"

"No, why? Do I have a bruise or something?"

"So you have bumped your head."

"No!" Elena rolled her eyes, "What is with you? You've been acting strange for the past couple of days."

"I'm just curious, that's all." She sipped her coffee, "No need to get your blood boiling."

"What?"

"How are things with Stefan?" Madeline asked then, "You two are as cute as Bella and Edward."

"What are you on about?"

"Nothing," Madeline sipped her coffee. "Did you sleep like the dead last night?"

"You're mad." Elena shook her head.

"Halloween isn't too far away." Madeline followed her little sister to the front door, "How many Dracula's do you think we'll have knocking on our door?"

"I'm not sure, I think most kids are going to dress up as Harry Potter and Elsa this year."

"Shall we make a bet on that? What are the stakes?"

"Madeline!"

"Calm down, no need to bite my head off."

"What are you-"

"-You pocket dialled me!" Madeline grabbed Elena's arm and pulled her to the side. Smiling sweetly towards Jeremy and waving him goodbye as he left for school, "When you talked to Stefan. About vampires, Lee! I heard everything!"

Elena froze, her eyes were wide, "You can drive me to school. We'll talk about this in the car."

The sisters discussed the situation in the car on the way to school. Elena didn't have that much information to share (having only recently just found out herself) but what she did know, she openly shared with Madeline.

"So, Stefan is a good vampire and Damon is a bad one?"

Elena nodded, "Yeah."

"Damon is responsible for these 'animal attacks'?"

Elena nodded again, "Yeah. Just keep away from him until I can get you some vervain."

"That stops compulsion, right?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Madeline ran a hand through her hair as she processed everything her sister had told her. "So Vicki Donovan wasn't insane when she said a vampire had attacked her? It was Damon. And Stefan compelled her to forget." She nodded, "Got it. Understood."

"They're the only two vampires in town that we know of."

As Madeline warned her sister to be careful, and told her to have a good day at school, she drove back home and hid under her duvet. She had been brave and understanding with what her little sister had explained, but in reality she was terrified!

As Elena returned home from school, she had Stefan with her. Madeline grabbed hold of her necklace, which had a cross on it, and held it towards the vampire.