Chapter Fifty One

Madeline had forgotten that Ethel resided a few hours away from Mystic Falls. Which meant that she was about to have another few days worth of a car journey.

"We're not staying with her though, are we, please?"

"What's wrong with her creaking shack, my love?" Klaus asked.

"What isn't wrong with it?"

"I was thinking of staying in a hotel anyway." He said, "Do you want to return to your apartment in Mystic Falls and pick up some more of your things?"

"Ooh," Madeline frowned in thought, "I don't know, maybe? I mean, when Hayley and I were on our way to New Orleans, I don't remember opening my suitcase and thinking that I'd forgotten something. It wouldn't hurt to look, right? Maybe a few more pairs of jeans- no, the waistband might be tight - leggings, I'll probably need to grab some more leggings. Oh, but what if I don't fit into my jeans again after the pregnancy? I'll have to wear them now before I can't." She sighed, and felt a little saddened that Katherine's hard work of shopping was going to be for nothing. "And I need to grab some of my thicker socks. I know it's hot, but my feet get cold at night and- Klaus, are you even listening to me?"

"Every word, my love."

"Liar."

He sighed, and waved a hand, "I'll buy you what you need."

"I don't want you to." She said, "Katherine already kitted me out with a whole new fashion line. My sense of style was awful, before she vamped up my wardrobe. Pun intended."

She sighed and opened up the automatic window a smidge, when she began feeling a little nauseous.

"Pull over for a second, please."

"What's the matter?"

"I feel sick. And I'd rather not ruin the interior of your Porsche."

Klaus agreed, and pulled over to the side of the road. Madeline opened her door, and swung her legs out before putting her head in her hands and taking a few deep breaths of the fresh air.

"I had butter on my toast this morning. Big mistake. I keep forgetting that it makes me feel sick...but I want it." She glanced over her shoulder towards him, "You need to start telling me to stop talking, at some point." She stood up then and moved over to the bushes at the side of the road, where she proceeded to empty her stomach of its contents.

Madeline heard Klaus getting out of the car, and he was at her side with a bottle of water in his hand for her.

"I don't want to talk your ears off, because you need them to hear when this baby screams at two o'clock in the morning." She swilled out her mouth, and spat, "I'm not going to be the only one getting up for nightly feeds."

"I believe you are the deeper sleeper, sweetheart."

"You were snoring last night."

"So were you."

Madeline blushed, causing Klaus to chuckle as they returned back to the car. The Hybrid closed the passenger door for the human once she was seated, and safely belted.

They stayed in a couple of motels as they made their way to Ethel's, and although the brunette was craving butter, Klaus kept having to be logical and remind her that it made her ill.

Sometimes, Madeline thought the morning sickness was worth it. Especially, when it came to buttered toast at breakfast.

It took just under three days to reach Ethel's place. Madeline couldn't work out if it was Klaus' Porsche that got them there so fast, or if (between her and Hayley) one of them drove the wolf's Mini like a grandma.