Chapter Twenty Three

Still not able to get over the fact that Damon had compelled her, Madeline ignored his calls and texts. She couldn't settle that night either, especially when Elena had called her - in tears - to tell her that the ritual was happening that very night and Damon had force-fed her his blood.

The vampire blood would be in her system for twenty four hours, which meant that if Elijah's plan didn't work, then Elena would die in the ritual and come back as a vampire.

Madeline found herself drinking at the Grill again, wondering at what point in her life she had turned to alcohol as an answer.

"Isn't your boyfriend with you, love?"

"Huh?" She blushed when she heard his voice, and turned to see Klaus slipping onto the bar stool beside her. "Boyfriend?"

"The cocky Salvatore."

"Oh, Damon." She shook her head, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Oh? Trouble in paradise, sweetheart? Your little spat earlier wasn't resolved?"

"Damon was never my boyfriend." She said honestly, "What made you think that?"

"Something you said when I was borrowing your friend Alaric's body." He replied, pausing in their conversation to compel himself a tumbler of strong dark liquid. "About how he didn't like sharing you."

"I meant for dancing." She replied, taking a long gulp of her wine. "Now, why are you here?"

"Can one not enjoy a drink in their local pub?" He asked casually.

"Yes, but you could sit at the other end of the bar."

The corners of his beautiful mouth curved up into a smile, "And leave a lady to drink alone? A gentleman would do no such thing."

"I suppose not. But then again, a gentleman wouldn't be planning to kill my little sister." She ordered another glass of cheap wine, "So you can scratch 'gentleman' off of your resume."

He watched her for a moment, "Where are your friends tonight?"

"Probably planning on ways to put a stop to you and your evil plans."

"And you're not there?"

"I wasn't invited to the party."

"You'd be at the top of my guest list, love."

She blushed, "Why aren't you at your own party? Surely you have things to plan, that we can ruin."

He chuckled at that, "My plans are already in place; just waiting for the full moon to be at its peak." He sipped his drink, "And, of course, you're invited to attend-"

"-I won't be in attendance, because the ritual-thing isn't going to happen."

"You're still calling it that?"

She threw her hands up, "What else am I to call it? I don't like the word 'sacrifice'." She nursed her fresh glass of wine, "It's not a sacrifice anyway, because my sister isn't going to die." Her eyes welled up with tears then, "Go and sit over there." She waved her hand to the end of the bar. "I didn't come here to drink and cry. I came here to just drink."

"Then I suppose a change of topic is in order." He clicked his fingers, and gestured to his glass which was now empty, the bartender came and refilled without question.

"No, thanks." She grumbled in response to Klaus suggesting they changed topic, as she finished the last mouthful of her wine. She was about to call the bartender over for another one, but he was already there; refilling it. She looked to Klaus then, finding his eyes already on her, "Thanks."