Chapter Twenty Four

Madeline had been stuck inside Alaric's apartment with Katherine for three days. No one had come to help her, and it was killing the brunette not knowing if her sister had survived, and if anyone else had met their end.

Katherine, however, was her usual bitchy self. She didn't care about who had died during the ritual, as long as Klaus didn't kill her once he returned to the apartment.

Luckily, there were blood bags in the fridge, for Katherine. However, Madeline had to help herself to any food that Alaric had lying about the place, because Katherine wouldn't even let her out of the apartment and across the hall to her own kitchen.

"I know Damon gave you vervain." Madeline said, "So, you could just come and babysit me next door. Or leave."

"If Klaus comes back and finds me gone, or across the hall - he'll know I'm on vervain." Came the bored response, she sat up straight suddenly. "He's coming."

The front door opened, and Klaus had Elijah with him. Elijah had obviously been invited in beforehand, and the two Originals wandered casually into the room.

"Ah, there're my girls!" Klaus greeted the two brunettes with a disarmingly charming grin, "I apologise for abandoning you both for a few days, however, I was otherwise detained exploring my pelted form."

Madeline narrowed her eyes towards Elijah, "I thought you said our endgames were the same." She said, drawing everyone's attention towards her. "We trusted you!"

"I can only apologise for my betrayal." Elijah stated, "However, another matter came to light."

"Ah, yes, you wished to be reunited with our family." Klaus remembered, suddenly he thrust a silver dagger into Elijah's heart - causing both Katherine and Madeline to scream. "There we are, I kept my word."

Elijah's decayed body dropped to the floor, and after he had poured himself a drink, Klaus stepped over his brother and sank onto the couch between the two brunettes. "I trust that you've been playing nice, Katerina?"

"Of course." Miss Pierce replied, her tone a little shaky - Madeline had never heard the vampire sound so fearful before!

"And you, Madeline-"

"-Why did you keep me here?"

A grin made its way onto Klaus's handsome face, "Why not, love?"

She paused, "That doesn't really answer my question." She said then, "Am I...Hybrid dinner, or something?"

"No." He laughed, "I brought you here, to ensure that your sister went ahead with the 'ritual-thing'. You were just collateral damage, initially."

"Initially?"

"Yes, I was going to let you go as soon as it was completed so you could be reunited with your friends - as per the bargain I had struck with Elena, but..." He shrugged, "I've changed my mind for the moment."

"Do I dare ask why? Or is this the part where you tell me I am Hybrid dinner?"

Klaus looked at his watch before sitting back into the sofa, his beautiful blue eyes not leaving her face from where she was sitting beside him, perched precariously on the edge of her seat.

"Hello, Stefan." He greeted, a second before the front door opened and the youngest Salvatore stepped inside the apartment. "You're right on time."