Chapter Seventy Six

As Madeline opened the door and came face to face with Dahlia, she felt her anger burning on the tip of her tongue. Her fingers twitched, and she hated the fact that she hadn't brought her knives with her.

"You must be, Madeline Gilbert." The woman had a deeper voice than the brunette had been expecting, but her tone and smirking facial expression only appeared to anger her more. "Hand over the little boy, and I'll let you live."

"I don't think so." Madeline ground out, "Esther might have had made a deal with you, but I did not. Henry is half Gilbert, so he is staying with me."

"I warned you."

Dahlia waved a hand, and Madeline's eyes widened when she realised just how powerful the witch was! She could feel her entire body becoming immobilised, and as soon as the numbness reached her chest - she could no longer breathe. The witch stepped around her without a single glance, and disappeared into the lounge - where Klaus struck.

As her lungs tightened further from her asphyxiation, Madeline felt the numbness travel up her body as she collapsed to the floor, and pain intensified as the numbness spread towards her head. Her sight soon vanished, and she lay there blind, deaf, breathless and unmoving while her heart began to slow.

She felt someone take her hand, and when she felt a warm sensation travelling up her left arm and towards her heart - she knew Freya was trying to tackle Dahlia's spell with one of her own.

It was incredibly painful! She screamed in agony as both spells fought against one another inside her body and Madeline knew that the only way she was going to live was if Dahlia died and her magic died with her. At least, Klaus had reminded her about the Gilbert ring!

She felt her body being picked up, and her straining heart fluttered to let her know that it was Klaus. Freya's spell reached her lungs too, and through her screams, Madeline managed to take in a gulp of air. She felt herself being lowered into the backseat of the car - Freya's hold on her hand never left.

The car journey was a long one, but she knew that Klaus would be driving as quickly as he could through the bayou.

Madeline was soon carried into the compound, where another hand - probably Davina's - took her right one and she could feel warmth spreading up her arm on that side.

Dahlia's magic was very strong and unwavering, and Madeline knew that the only way she was going to be free of this spell (if the witch that cast it, wasn't dead) was for herself to die and be brought back to life through the power of the Gilbert ring.

Suddenly, Madeline felt no pain.

She found herself standing in a room lined with mirrors, and she was wearing a pale pink leotard, and a beautiful pair of silk ballet slippers. Her hair was tied off of her pale face in a tight bun, and there was a beautiful Tchaikovsky melody playing in the room.

Her attention was brought to the double doors, when Klaus walked inside. His face was grave, and Madeline immediately rushed towards him.

"What's going on?" She asked, "How are we here?"

"I've made this, so that you're no longer in pain." He said, "Dahlia is in a neutralised state. The dagger with my mothers ashes only put her into a deep sleep...her spell that she cast on you is what is holding her to this realm. Once we find a way to take this curse from you, Dahlia will die."

"Then kill me." Madeline said, "Get Elijah to snap my neck or something- hell, get Kol to do it!"

"I cannot let you die again, sweetheart." Klaus brought his hands up to cup her face, his eyes full of tears which Madeline had never seen before. "I have created this place for you, you will stay here until we can undo what Dahlia has done-"

"-Klaus, please, don't draw this out. We know that she will die with me."

"You don't understand, my love." The Hybrid rest his forehead against hers, "I refuse to let you go, again."

"Now is not the time to be so stubborn-"

"-I am staying here with you." He told her, with finality. "Because once I let go, all that pain and suffering will return to you."

"But you need to stop your Aunt!" Madeline cried, pushing against his chest. "You can't let her take Henry, Klaus!"

He grabbed her hands, and pulled her to his chest. "As long as that dagger remains in her heart, she will not be able to take him. Elijah has promised me that he will watch Dahlia. The others are taking care of our son-"

"-He needs you." Tears fell from her eyes. "Just, please, let me go. I know this is the quickest way to solve all of this."

"But it's the hardest way, my love." He whispered, his eyes locking with hers.

"Then if you won't leave, I will."

"Good luck with that, sweetheart. We're in your head, and I'm strong enough to overcome your resistance."

"We're in my head?"

"Yes, think of this as a dream."

"And I control this dream?"

"If you decide to go someplace else, I can make that happen." He said, "But whatever you decide to do here, you can achieve."

She turned to look at her reflection in the mirror, and she had made her decision on what she wanted to do. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay." She repeated, moving over to the wall of mirrors. She clasped her hands around the ballet beam and twisted it slightly, to release it from its position.

"Martial Arts?" Klaus asked, as she twirled the pole in her hands.

"No." She replied, sliding the beam through her hands until she could grip the end. Before Klaus could ask her another question, she had put all of her strength behind her swing and struck the mirror - completely shattering it.

She felt Klaus grabbed her from behind to pull her out of the way of the glass shards - but she had already grabbed hold of one and swiped it through her forearm.

Blood spurted everywhere, and her body began to shake in shock. There was no pain, however, for this was a dream that Klaus had created to keep her from suffering.

"No!" He roared, biting down on his hand and forcing his wound against her mouth in order to heal her.

Madeline tried to resist, but some of his blood did manage to trickle down her throat. "Stop it!" She shoved him backwards, hard. "I'll do anything to stop her, Klaus! I'd die for our son, and I need to die for our son!"

"No, you don't!" He roared, throwing the shard of glass across the room in his anger. "We will find another way; we always find another way!"

"I can't lie to you, Klaus. I want to do this for Henry. If you don't leave me now, and get one of your siblings to kill me then I'll keep trying to do it myself, here."

"The Gilbert ring won't bring you back as a human, if you do." He warned her. "You've had my blood, if you manage to get past me and kill yourself, you'll come back as a vampire."

She offered him an apologetic smile as she gave a shake of her head, her weak body sagged against his. "When I slit my wrists before...I ended up in hospital. Damon's blood wouldn't heal me, because I was bleeding out." They both looked down to her wet, red arm. "So, it's the same now, Klaus. I'm sorry I've forced your hand but...either I die and maybe come back as a vampire, or you leave me here and ask someone to kill me, so that I come back as a human."

Just a quick question to you all:

Do you think I portray Klaus well?

Only because I have an idea for another Klaus/OC fan fiction and was wondering about writing it in his POV. I just wanted to see what you would think of that.