Chapter Sixty Nine

Despite the fact that her apartment now belonged to Jeremy, Madeline and Klaus spent the next few days there, with Henry.

Elijah made his way back to New Orleans at the request of Rebekah...something about a witch named Freya arriving and stirring up trouble.

Klaus was a little on edge over the situation, but would not tell Madeline anything about it. He promised her that they would stay in Mystic Falls for as long as she needed. The human had said that she didn't want Henry to suffer through another long car journey, so soon after being separated from them.

Bonnie had been found by Tyler and his pack, in the old Lockwood cellar. Damon was relieved at his girlfriend being found, and had taken her away for a romantic weekend.

Madeline got out of the bed, and pulled her dressing gown over her naked body. "I'm just going to make sure Henry's still where we left him. In his cot. In the living room."

Since the whole abduction-thing, Madeline had been overly protective of the baby. So much so, that Carol Lockwood had almost lost her life when she saw her at the Mystic Grill.

"Oh, let me see him!" The Mayor (who Silas had been pretending to be, to fool Tyler in order to get access to the Lockwood mansion with Esther), bent down to pick Henry up from his pram, and Stefan had to hold the mother back from ramming her fork into Carol's eye. "Isn't he beautiful!" The cougar exclaimed, "He has your eyes, Madeline."

Even Sheriff Forbes had had a cuddle with little Henry, and as soon as he was back inside the pram, Madeline left Elena and Stefan at the Grill as she hurried out.

She was sobbing as she arrived back to the apartment, and she yelled at Klaus to start packing anything that he wanted. The Hybrid was more than happy to leave Mystic Falls to return to his kingdom, so did so without question.

However, in the car on the way back, he decided to open his mouth, "All I can feel is your anger, sweetheart. Do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

"I thought I was going to kill Tyler's mum."

Klaus was taken aback, "Come again?"

"She just came up to us at lunch, and whipped Henry out of his pram, Klaus!" She exclaimed, "God, I was so angry! Stefan had to hold me back. I was going to stab her with my fork! And then Caroline's mum, too! God, I love that woman, but still I was going to hurt her if it hadn't been for the fact that she actually asked to hold him."

Klaus kept his eyes on the road, and listened to his Promised One with one ear.

"I've never felt like I want to hurt anybody so badly, as I did then!" She glanced in the backseat, and her heart softened at seeing Henry's sleeping face in his car seat. "You know, I've never killed anyone - not even a vampire since I first found out about the supernatural - I didn't think I had it in me. But now? Jesus Christ, I don't think I'd think twice about it. I don't want to be a psycho, Klaus."

"Your words are touching."

"Sorry."

"Rebekah's been reading her books again." Klaus stated with a roll of his eyes, "The Oracle has said that you're suffering from separation anxiety. It's quite common with women when they've recently had a child. And, after Henry's abduction, of course, you're going to feel that way. I do not want to let him out of my sight either."

"I don't feel so ridiculous now." She replied with a sigh, feeling her anger depleting. "But still, I do want to be able to leave him with Rebekah and Elijah sometimes...I don't want to be one of those smothering parents, like Carol Lockwood. God, Tyler was a real asshole when he was growing up...still is, sometimes."

"You have a real vendetta against the woman."

"She's a bitch." Madeline replied, resting her elbow on the window, so that she could lean against her hand. "I remember, when I was eight, she told me off for dancing. We were at a children's party. And it was my fucking birthday!"

"Don't tell me you've been carrying that around with you, for the last fourteen years."

"Yep." She popped the 'p'. "Rant over."

"Hallelujah."

"You asked!" She defended herself, causing him to grin mischievously. "Whatever, can we stop driving soon? I want to cuddle the baby." She suddenly recognised where they were, "Klaus, please don't tell me we're going to see Ethel?"

"Alright, I won't tell you that we're going to see Ethel."

"Why are we going?"

"I just have a few questions, that's all."

"About what?" Madeline asked, "Don't you dare drive over those potholes!"

The Hybrid pulled the Porsche over, and cut the engine. He then turned to the human, "Could you please, stop being a backseat driver? I've been handling a car since before you were born."

Madeline scoffed at him before throwing her door open, "Oh, how could I forgot that I've been sleeping with an old man."

He grinned like the big bad wolf, "All the more experience, my dear."

Henry yawned and blinked his eyes open as Madeline leaned over his car seat to unbuckle him, "Hello, little man, good afternoon!" She cooed, lifting his tiny body into her arms. "We're just popping in to see a creepy old witch, and then we'll be going home."

"A 'creepy old witch' who thinks of me as Prince Charming." Klaus corrected the brunette with a smirk.

"Don't worry, Henry," Madeline placed a kiss on his head as she shot Klaus a mocking glare, "Daddy's ego will explode eventually."

The road to the creaking shack was as long as Madeline could remember it, but this time, she didn't trip and hurt her ankle. Although, she was tempted to pretend so that Klaus would have to give her another piggyback.

"Helloooo!" Came the all too familiar voice from the porch.

Yes, that's right readers: Ethel is back! Originally, she was only going to be in the one chapter when Madeline and Klaus first found out about Promised Ones, but I've received so much love for her from all of you, that she has been gifted with a 'Recurring Role'.