Chapter Forty Eight

Damon helped Hayley pack up the car, while Madeline phoned the school to let them know that she was leaving the cheerleading squad in the capable hands of Caroline, and she left a message on Carol Lockwood's answerphone to tell her to cancel the ballet class.

"Damon, I'm pregnant, not disabled." Madeline sighed, as he insisted on helping her down the stairs.

"I know." He said, throwing her suitcase nonchalantly into the boot of Hayley's car, before snatching Madeline's handbag off of her and easing her down into the passenger seat. "But if you fell over, I have a feeling that your boyfriend would kill me. I happen to like my handsome head on my manly body, thank you."

Hayley scoffed. "I don't think anyone else does."

"Don't you have cats to chase, or something?"

"Damon!" Madeline scolded, leaning out of the car window to hug her vampire best friend. "Tell Elena that I said goodbye, and Jeremy. And Stefanie."

"Will do."

"And make sure that when you have a drink, you have one for me too."

"Will do."

"And keep yourself out of trouble."

"I can't make any promises."

As Hayley drove away, Madeline waved to the vampire from out of the window. It was going to be a long drive, considering neither girls had passports.

It took them just over four days to drive, the girls having to stop at motels and share the driving so that they could have regular breaks. Madeline's morning sickness wasn't too bad, and she realised that the reason she was being sick after every meal was because there were certain things that she was eating that the baby didn't like. Butter, mainly. She had to stop having it on her toast for breakfast, in her sandwiches for lunch, and on her potatoes for dinner.

As the two girls (Madeline currently driving) finally pulled into The Big Easy, they parked the car, before making their way through the French Quarter.

"What do you want to do first?" Hayley asked, shouldering her bag, "Do you want me to be with you, when you talk to Klaus?"

Madeline sighed, "No, I don't think so. Thank you, though. I think it'd be better if it were just the two of us...at least he can't hurt me."

The wolf nodded in understanding, "I'll make my way down to the Bayou, now. Get a head start on my search."

"Wait, we need to keep checking in with each other." The Gilbert said, "Can you phone me in about an hour?"

"Yeah, I will, Maddie." Came the response, "And if you need me, at all. You call me, okay?"

The two girls parted ways, Hayley returning to the car to head down to the Bayou, whilst Madeline looked around the French Quarter. There were so many people, that she felt quite anxious, which made her decide to bite the bullet and just get the whole 'tell the daddy' over with.

She pulled out her mobile and flicked through her contacts until she found Klaus' name. Upon dialling the number, it rang only once before the call was connected.

"Hello, sweetheart," She could hear the grin in his voice as he answered his phone. "What can I do for you?"

"Where are you?" She questioned, looking around her. "I'm in New Orleans and I-"

"-You're here?" She heard movement on his end of the line. "So, you decided to join me after all."

"Are you free, right now? I need to see you." She spotted a bar across the street, and made her way over. "Can you meet me at..." She wrinkled her nose, "Oh god, how do you pronounce that? Rossi's?"