Chapter Twenty Nine

Madeline hitched a ride with Alaric to the Boarding House (seeing as the ghost of Vicki Donovan had destroyed her car), to discuss the Papa Mikaelson plan.

"So, what we're going to do is-"

"-Wait," Stefan said, "I shouldn't hear this. I'm still under Klaus's compulsion. If you tell me the details, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to lie to him if I'm asked."

"Ah, yes!" Damon realised, "Good point, Steffie. Go somewhere you can't hear the plan."

Madeline froze then...what if Klaus called her?

"Don't tell me either." Everyone turned to look at her with confused expressions, "I, err...I found out that I can't lie to him too."

"What do you mean you can't lie to him?" Damon pulled a face.

"I don't know." Madeline replied, "But I just can't. He hasn't compelled me. I don't know what it is but..." She looked to her sister guiltily. "I told him that you were still alive, and that you were at the Senior Prank Night. I don't know why - you know I wouldn't do it on purpose, Lee!"

"I know." Elena replied, hugging her sister. "It's okay-"

"-It's not okay!" Madeline huffed, "I betrayed you, and I don't know why!"

"We'll get to the bottom of it, I promise." Elena reassured her with a smile.

Madeline left the house with Stefan, and the two made their way to the Mystic Grill to wait for the others to contact them once they were needed.

"You can't lie to him either, huh?"

"Yeah." Madeline replied, "I know it's not compulsion, I've been wearing my vervain bracelet. And he told me that he didn't compel me."

"And you believe him?"

"He was just as surprised as I was, Stefan. Trust me, I have no clue what's going on."

They sat in an awkward silence, at the bar of the Mystic Grill, for about twenty minutes before Damon and Elena gave them the 'okay' to return to the Boarding House.

As they arrived, the first thing Madeline saw as she stepped into the room, was Mikael laying face down on the wooden floorboards with one of the silver daggers embedded in his back.

Stefan immediately picked up the phone and dialled Klaus, telling him that Mikael was dead. Madeline didn't hear what the Hybrid replied, but watched as the younger Salvatore handed the phone to Rebekah for her to repeat what Stefan had just told him. Obviously, there were some trust issues.

The blonde Original hung up the phone, "It worked, he's on his way back to Mystic Falls."

Just then, everyone turned to look at Madeline as her phone then started to ring.

Klaus calling...

"It's him." She said, everyone nodded and waited for her to answer it. "Hello, Klaus."

"Ah, hello sweetheart. How are you this lovely, albeit rainy, afternoon?"

"Nervous." She replied honestly, and then felt her heart rate quicken. Damon slapped a palm against his forehead.

"And why is that, pray tell?"

"Well, the...err, whole ghost situation is still in the back of my mind."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah, well, when you find out your biggest fear is real you...err, get a little on edge, right?" Even Stefan had to leave the room, this 'not-being-able-to-lie-thing' was certainly making the older Gilbert girl jump through any loopholes that she could babble her way into. "Anyway, why are you phoning me this time?"