Chapter Twenty Five

Madeline was distraught that she had missed the funerals that had been held for her Aunt and Uncle.

Jeremy had reassured her that they had searched for her, and when they had phoned her mobile - it just went to voicemail.

Madeline left her old house, leaving her little brother in the capable hands of Bonnie Bennett, as she made her way to the graveyard where her siblings and her friends had held a small ceremony while Klaus had gone AWOL in his wolf form.

The brunette pulled her knees to her chest as she sobbed, completely heartbroken. If she had just left Alaric's apartment, she could've been there to help - she could've saved her Aunt Jenna's life!

She felt guilty, so guilty. It should've been her that the Hybrid had used as his vampire in the sacrifice. He had abducted her from the Mystic Grill before the ritual had happened, so why did he not turn her?

"You know," She span around when she heard the unmistakable voice of her sister, but the tone that signified Katherine Pierce. "Crying isn't a good look for you."

"Thanks." Madeline rolled her eyes, and turned back to the grave that had been marked with a small block of wood with a plaque (it was too early for a gravestone). "Did Klaus let you go?"

"Yeah, he gave me a vial of his blood to cure Damon."

"What was wrong with Damon?"

"Werewolf bite." Miss Pierce replied, dismissively, "He's fine now."

Madeline felt her sudden feeling of dread, turn into relief.

"I didn't do it for Damon." Katherine felt the need to say, "I did it for you. I know how close you two are."

"Thank you." Madeline replied, honestly. "I still don't really understand why you're being so nice to me...but I appreciate it. You're not so bad, Katherine."

"Please, don't get all sentimental."

"I won't."

"And do yourself a favour, don't feel guilty over your Aunt. You couldn't have done anything to save her."

"But Klaus could've used me in the ritual-"

"-No." Katherine interrupted. "I saw the way he looked at you in the apartment. And the threat of hurting you, to get Stefan to do what he wanted? Bullshit. He wasn't going to damage a single hair on your pretty little head."

Madeline frowned, "How do you know that?"

"I just do." She replied, "I've never seen him so...interested with a human before."

"He was with you, and Elena-"

"-He was interested in us, to use us. He had an ulterior motive because we're doppelgängers. But you...I don't know what it is about you, but I could just tell that he wasn't going to carry out his threat; if Stefan didn't do what he said."

"I don't believe that." Madeline lied, she too could see that Klaus had been lying when he said that he was going to drain her of her blood.

"Just...look after yourself." Katherine grimaced then, "Eww, god, I sound like I care."

"I won't tell anyone, you have my word."

The hint of a grin teased the corners of Katherine's cursive lips, "Good."

Then Miss Pierce was gone.

Madeline pulled out her phone and immediately called her vampire bestie. Damon answered on the second ring.