twenty three

LACIE PICKETT stared blankly at her friend sitting across from her

It was August 14th and the girl sitting across from her had barley moved a muscle. 

ATHENA MALKIN was a lot of things. 

A liar? maybe , A bitch? well that's up for debate, but just another Slytherin ? she was not. 

She had stayed with Lacie since the end of the previous year , though it barley felt like a week the months had dragged on. 

Athena was nearly catatonic.

She rarely spoke , if so only one or two words.

Didn't eat much , so her cheekbones stuck out , jagged and defined 

Her eye bags were back , with new and prominent definition. 

She looked like a ghost. 

And her friend was incredibly worried about her. 

Sometimes she spent days crying , others with furrowed brows and a deep scowl. 

but most with an impassive look , that only held remorse. 

Lacie was panicking 

no matter her efforts she couldn't seem to do a thing that helped the girl. 

She tried assuring her that their old friends would come around , that maybe after a couple weeks they'd send a letter apologizing or anything at all. 

but Athena received nothing 

Not from anyone 

( Wren was on holiday somewhere exotic and informed her two friends she couldn't afford the international shipping ) 

but especially not from anyone from Gryffindor. 

especially not from anyone with raven hair 

She knew she had messed up by not informing her former friends of her Fathers .... position. But she had gone along with the only slight lie of his ministry position she had just told them what she told everyone else.