forty three

how we fall

As the searing pain in Athenas head fell silent, she felt her whole body go numb

As the searing pain in Athenas head fell silent, she felt her whole body go numb. The Death-eaters  above the two teens laughed before beginning their flee. When she glanced over, tears poured down Harrys face, but more than sorrow, rage filled the boys features. His hand dropped from hers and in a second he had ripped the cloak off and begun to tear through the castle. 

She pulled a deep breath through her chest before darting after the boy. 

Why can't I cry? 

the girl wondered to herself. Was it because she knew it was coming? No she knew when most deaths were coming. Though her body was heavy with grief no tears slipped past her eyes. She had become numb to the tears of grief, and that only saddened her more. 

As she pushed through the familiar hallways she looked at the beginnings of the war. She thought she had time, she thought maybe she could finish her seventh year and be able to fight as an adult. Though she realized that never could've happened, everything had been building for far too long. 

She fired curses at dark robes, speeding up through the hallways knowing Harry was about to do something stupid. There was blood on the ground, the castle was crumbling and shaking beneath her feet, but she pushed forwards. 

I need to help Harry 

Was the only thing she could think as the castle folded out in-front of her. 

FIRE

She flinched 

But she only let this motivate her, Where was Harry? he had only been a couple moments ahead of her. But her feet had been taking her down to the lower floors without even realizing. 

HAGRID!

A new fire beneath her feet she continued sprinting down the grounds, bounding down a large hill she stopped suddenly. 

Harry stood a few feet from Snape, a bleach blonde head running into the forest behind them. Suddenly spells begun to fire rapidly and the girl knew she had to help. Beginning down the hill when a loud bang drew her attention to the now engulfed Hagrid's Hut. The fire was raging, and although she longed to help Harry she turned to the hut. Thorffin Rowle laughed viciously, before Athena sent a binding curse at him, knocking him over. Hagrid stood in disbelief only thanking Athena before mumbling  Aguament, starting to douse his hut in water. Athena also quickly cast the water conjuring spell and helped until only smoke came from the small hut.