Chapter 17

After the food arrived, Jeongin woke Byeol up and they all ate while watching a random movie that Minki had put in. As the movie neared it's end, Jeongin got a call and sadly had to leave, but Byeol told him to wait as she ran upstairs and got his sweatshirt that he had let her borrow - since it was still at Minki's house.

As she tried to give it back to him, he chuckled and told her to keep it. "It looks better on you anyway," Jeongin hugged Byeol goodbye and told Minki he'd see her tomorrow. With that, he left the house and headed to wherever he had to go. Byeol was still hugging the sweatshirt close to her chest as she walked back to the couch and sat next to Minki.

"Hey, are you okay?" Minki faced her friend and looked at her with concern.

"No, but I will be." There was a small pause before Byeol started speaking again. "I'm scared Minki. I'm about to be living on my own and I'm only 16. Was I stupid to suggest it? You know I hate being by myself, and now that's exactly what's about to happen. And you. We've been neighbors since we were born, and now that's about to change."

"Byeol, look at me." The girl looked up at her friend. "Even though I may not be 30 seconds away, if you need me, I will be there. I don't care if I have to run over to wherever you end up living, you are my best friend and no distance can change that. And if being alone still scares you, we can just have slumber parties all the time!" The two girls giggled.

"Thanks Minki."

"Anytime, babe!" The blonde girl pulled Byeol into a hug. "Now come on, let's do our homework so you don't get another detention." Minki pulled Byeol up and the two headed to her room. "Oh, when is your mom coming back?"

"Tomorrow. Then she's packing everything and leaving this weekend. She's not even going to help me move." Byeol sat on Minki's bed and pulled out her school books. "I wouldn't be surprised if she breaks off all contact just like my father."

"Hey, it's going to be okay. You've got me, Jae, and the guys to help you move. I know it sucks, but you're not alone. Okay?" Minki got out her school books as well and started her homework.

Byeol muttered an 'okay' and the two girls started their homework. After an hour of silently working they were done and started getting ready for bed. Once settled, the two girls fell asleep.

———

The next three days went significantly better than Monday, and Byeol was getting to know her new friends well. Jeongin was asking her what she liked so that he could plan the perfect date, Yeonjun hadn't been bothering her, and that Jongho kid and his friends weren't talking to her either. Life was good.

Byeol had just gotten to her house after school on Thursday when her mom called for her from the home office. When she entered the office, she saw her mother and a boy who looked only a few years older than herself.

"Sweetheart, this is Chan. You're father sent him to look at apartments with you and he will be setting up the payments as well." Her mother smiled happily and grabbed some papers off of the desk and handed them to Chan. "These are all apartments that I would like you to check out. They are near her school and in good parts of town. They're also close to shopping centers so she can get a job. Alright, you two go look, I need to finish packing!"

Byeol's mother shooed the two out of the house to Chan's car that Byeol hadn't seen before. He opened the car door for her, but she didn't get in.

"Um, Chan? Do you mind if I bring my best friend? She's going to be over a lot so her opinion matters too." Byeol pointed to Minki's house and when Chan agreed, she ran to her best friend's house. After explaining everything to Minki, the two girls headed back to Chan's car.