Chapter 3

Kihyun's pov

    For Shownu's entire performance, I was entranced by him. By how smooth his voice was, how fluid his dancing was. Before hearing Shownu sing, I was incredibly anxious.

    This could be my first stage or my last stage. Thoughts of giving up crossed my mind a multitude of times, but now that I've met Shownu -and have a chance to live my dream with him- I'm not giving up. 

  Kihyun, this is a make or break moment. You could be in a group with your soulmate! He may not like me back romantically, but that's okay. Being by him is and will be enough!

    As Shownu performed, the other trainees began noticing my name on his wrist. Nine of the other trainees looked at me, disgust clearly evident on their faces. I looked down to the ground and Wonho scooted beside me then glared back at the nine. 

     "You guys are just so incredibly stupid." Wonho mockingly laughed out. "Kihyun here is Shownu's soulmate. Emphasis on 'Shownu's.' If he catches any of you being rude, mean or anything besides kind to Kihyunie, that glare may be the last face you make." Wonho shrugged as he swung an arm around my shoulders. The nine trainees visibly shuddered or gulped.  

    "They're all homophobic, Kihyun. I, however, am not. I know you have Shownu now but, if you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate." Wonho muttered.

Once Shownu walked into the room, the other trainees and I applauded him. I gave him a slightly awkward hug when he sat beside me. "I'm next." I sighed out and took a few calming breaths.

 "You can do this, Kihyun! I believe in you!" Shownu exclaimed as I rose from my seat. 

   His exclamation was enough to make me feel more confident. I walked to the stage and stood in the middle. As I sang, I could feel my passion increase.

    I could see the judges tear up once I reached the song's climax. I dropped down to my knees as I sang. 

   I rose to my feet once I finished to listen to the judges criticism. "That was beautiful,"  one said. "It was a great cover, but it was a little rushed." Another stated. I thanked them then walked back to the green room.

Shownu's pov, while watching Kihyun perform

   As Kihyun sang his heart out, I could feel myself start tearing up. That was Kihyun out there -my soulmate- and he sounded so sad. He sounded so desperate and sincere. His voice is one of the most beautiful I've heard.

     As I began wiping the few fallen tears, I heard the other guys exclaim, "Oh my god, he's making me cry!"
Hearing the judges say it was 'rushed' made me quite sad and angry. The way it was rushed gave it such a hopeless and desperate vibe; identical to how most people are when trying to keep a loved one from leaving.

     As Kihyun was listening to their feedback, I could tell just from his eyes how his self esteem lowered ever so slightly. 

    Once he came back into the room, we all clapped. Kihyun noticed the tear streaks on our faces. His eyes widened and he began to apologize. He ran to his bag and pulled out some tissues, then began handing them out to those of us who cried. 

As he handed a tissue to each crying male, I could feel my heart grow warm. Once Kihyun gave me my own, he sat down beside me. I wiped my few tears and turned to face Kihyun. 

"You did amazing, Kihyun! Your performance brought most of us to tears!" I exclaimed as I patted his back. His small frown grew to a shy smile. 

Before Kihyun could reply, a scoff cut him off. "As if you two will make it together. Once this airs, all of Korea will know that yet another mistake pairing occurred." Minhyuk sneered then laughed.

"Keep on talking, eleven! You may not even make it through the next round!" Wonho exclaimed. 

"Don't step into this Wonho, I wasn't talking to you." Minhyuk barked back.

 "It doesn't matter, Minhyuk! Kihyunie is my friend now, and you're just jealous his performance could actually move the judges. If you stay this cold at heart, you'll never make it in this world; you might just catch a cold from the freezing temperature of your heart." Wonho snapped then turned towards Kihyun and I. 

"I've got your backs, guys. The rest might come around eventually, but I wouldn't expect anything from him." He gently stated with a sheepish grin. I was greatly taken aback.

Someone is actually kind about this? I didn't know someone would have kindness in this cruel debut war! 

I was about to thank Wonho but Kihyun beat me to it. Kihyun smiled and hugged Wonho tightly. 

"Thank you, Wonnie!" Kihyun exclaimed into Wonho's chest. Wonho's eyes slightly widened, then he wrapped his arms around Kihyun. 

"It's really no problem, Kihyunie! We're friends, aren't we? Anyways, no one deserves to be treated in such a terrible manner over something they can't control. Maybe Minhyuk doesn't understand the soulmate bond." Wonho shrugged once Kihyun let go of him.  

Wonho looked at me and nodded his head in acknowledgment of my silent thank you.

-a few hours later, at the dorm-

"Shownu, can I talk to you for a second?" Wonho questioned then pulled me into an empty room once I nodded. 

"Okay, Shownu. You're Kihyun's soulmate -yes- but he's just seventeen. He's still a kid whilst you're twenty two. Until he's eighteen -an adult- don't do anything stupid or reckless. I would really hate to see such a bright kid be hurt because of you." Wonho stated. 

    "I know he's still so young. I know how old I am, but that doesn't mean I'd do anything stupid to Kihyun. I don't think I'd even be capable of accidentally hurting him, much less purposefully." I exclaimed. 

    "I'd assume so, Shownu. Yesterday, Kihyun and I became friends. I get you're his other half but if you hurt him, even just his feelings, I will hurt you twice as bad in retaliation. And if you hurt him physically?" Wonho tutted and shook his head, "You may just need a doctor." He growled with dark eyes but a bright smile.

Edited August 29, 2020