4

Years passed, and Sherlock was still tormented by the writing on his arm -"Are you there?", "Will you just answer me once?", "I want to know I have someone" - whoever this person was, they relied heavily on the idea of having a soulmate. He found that sad, that this person needed to have Sherlock there to feel good. He despised them. Desperate, caring and stupid.

School was just as bad, he thought primary was difficult with the sniggers and the laughs, but nothing could compare to the pain caused by the children in secondary. He was mocked, tormented, and beaten every day. He didn't feel anything towards the children though, he knew they were doing it for a reactions. So he didn't react. However he was constantly covered in bruises. His lessons were torture. Boring, simple and slow. He already knew what was being taught, and passed every test with flying colours. He needed a way to pass the time.

John had been through hell, teased because he didn't have a soulmate. The idea hurt him the most, that no one would love him. He'd let his mind wander in lessons, thinking about what it would be like if someone answered him. His classmates were always writing on themselves, getting to know their soulmate. Some had already found them. John was surrounded by reminders that he had no one, that his questions would always be left unanswered.

Yet one day, one normal day. John noticed something. Lines appearing on his arm. He nearly wept. Excusing himself, he left to the bathrooms. Nothing cohesive, just patterns, shapes. No words, no answers, but it told John there was someone. John had a soulmate. Fumbling for a pen, John waited for the drawing to stop and asked a simple question -"Why?"- to which he gained his first ever answer -"Bored"-.