15

John must've passed out because the sound of a door slamming startled him from his dreamless sleep. After a minute of pulling his thoughts together he realises Sherlock is stood by the door, and the events of the night before register in John's brain.

"I am so sorry Sherlock, I didn't even th-think about how you were f-feeling. I was s-so caught up in the moment and all the m-memories came back, and I couldn't k-keep it together." John rambles as he makes his way towards the detective. Sherlock just brushes past him, heading towards his chair.

"You have to say something Sherlock, I didn't mean to upset you last night," John explains, headin to sit in his own chair.

Silence hangs in the air between the two men. Sherlock actively ignoring John, John restraining himself from going on. This tension leaves the two men in an uncomfortable silence for most of the day, leaving John to find ways to kill his boredom. However he can't seem to be able to concentrate on anything as the detective is always inside his vision, so instead John lets his mind wander again. He ends up thinking about the fact that Sherlock is his soulmate, it's something that John never expected. One, that his soulmate isn't a girl, two, that Sherlock Holmes has a soulmate and three, that John is his. Yet it does explain the instant connection between the two men and John can't stop himself from thinking how he'll never be bored having Sherlock around forever. The more John dives into this topic, the more he comes around to having Sherlock as his soulmate.

However Sherlock's mind is somewhere else. Ever since their argument, Sherlock can't stop the memories of his childhood. Bullying never gave it justice. It was more than just name calling, or beatings in the playground. It was death threats, following him home so they knew where he lived. It was knowing they had knives that they would not hesitate to use on him. It was the way they viewed him as a bug that they could easily squah under their feet, but instead decide to torture it with the sun burning through a magnifying glass. He was treated as subhuman throughout his childhood, so that's what he became. He decided that if people were going to see him as anything but human, he'd become anything but human. That's where the machine aspect of him came from, a shell to protect him from the world's visions of him.

Both men, lost in thought. Both men thinking about the things that have tormented them for years, knowing the person they're meant to be able to confide in is sitting across from them. Yet both men still sit in silence.