10

"Do you believe in soulmates?"

"I have to, I can't ignore the facts"

The question sent waves of panic through Sherlock, he had proof he had one from his memories as a child. But now, now he knew it was John. It wasn't a difficult deduction, the immediate liking and then the writing. That goddamn writing on his arm, it scared him. Sherlock couldn't handle the revelation that had occurred just the day before. Did John realise? Did he set it up to trick Sherlock? He's never felt so confused, betrayed and enticed before, John did this to him, John made him question the building blocks that had made him who he was. He couldn't handle it.

"Fine then, do you care about soulmates?"

"Nope"

Sherlock had to keep his reputation up, so he dehumanises himself. Mentally he is now anywhere but the room, he doesn't want to be anywhere near John as it messes with his brain. He comes back into focus for a second, and then gets up and leaves, slamming his door to prove a point.

John felt defeated. He thought he could maybe get through to Sherlock, find what made him human. Nothing had triggered the question, he just remembered the whole thing. How it had tortured him as a child, but kept him alive during the war. How this part of him controlled his life for so long, John wanted to know if Sherlock had actually considered it because he is still human after all. His reaction however, hurt John a bit but he doesn't know why. The instant connection he had with Sherlock felt important to John, yet he couldn't deny the fact that Sherlock just doesn't care about anyone.