21

The day passed as usual, solving cases and sitting in 221B. However Sherlock wanted to get to the bottom of John's discomfort and unease at the topic of soulmates. He's never been so invested in another person's emotions, yet John keeps enticing him to know more.

"John?"

"Huh, yeah Sherlock?"

Nerves start to take over Sherlock, he doesn't want to upset his only friend, causing him to leave.

"Sherlock, you alright?"

"Yes John."

John now seemed concerned, Sherlock didn't seem his usual, emotionless self.

"You seemed concerned about something, plus you wanted to ask me something"

"How'd you know I wanted to ask you a question?"

Sherlock was surprised with John's deduction about his mental state. Sherlock realises the soldier is smarter than he looks.

"Well you kept sneaking glances, then wanted my attention. I'm not stupid Sherlock."

"I guess you're not."

This earned a glare from John, yet Sherlock had a feeling it wasn't malicious.

"I wanted to ask, why did the gay bar case effect you so much. I mean you haven't added it to your blog but you added yesterday's fairly standard and boring one."

Anticipation edged into Sherlock's mind, he needed this answer. He needed to know what was bothering his newly found companion.

"I don't want to talk about it Sherlock, you're not my therapist."
"But I'm your friend"

This left John speechless. He couldn't believe those words left the detective's lips. The uncaring, friendless detective, considered him his friend.

"I've been doing some reading John, and friends talk to each other, help each other through the things you're clearly going through."

Sherlock wanted to know to satisfy his curiosity, John knew this. But the detective also seemed to care. Yes that case is still haunting John, the familiarity of the situation. He understands what that man went through. Why it lead him to murder. Yet he couldn't bring himself to talk about it because he knew Sherlock would see it as stupid and unecessary, and John didn't want to be ridiculed even more that he was as a child. He didn't need the humiliation, yet deep down he knew Sherlock wouldn't judge.

"It was my dad."

It came out as barely a whisper, John would be surprised if Sherlock even heard. Let alone cared.

"What do you mean, your dad?"

"My dad, Harry came out at a young age. I was maybe 10 or 11 when it happened. It was the last family meal we ever had."

John began to choke up, tears forming in his eyes. He felt weak, pathetic.

"She came out over dinner, a huge smile on her face, "I met my soulmate today, it was amazing," I couldn't help but smile, her joy back then was contagious. My dad seemed to actually listen at that point, expecting the description of his future son in law, it was the first time in a while I had seen him actually smile."

John took a breath, yet Sherlock didn't rush him along. Instead he waited patiently for John to continue. This caused John to look up and meet the detective's gaze. The raw emotions John saw were immense, this was the real Sherlock. The one that cared.

"Sorry, it's a lot to think about."

"It's alright John. take your time"
Again his words surprised John but he wasn't in the right frame of mind to think about it.

"Anyway, so Harry starts going on about her soulmate, describing how wonderful, funny and caring they were. Never once did she mention that they were a girl. Dad, wanting to know every detail about his future in-law, asks their name. I'll never forget how red he got when he realised Harry's soulmate was a girl. The fear in her eyes, the panic written on my mother's face."

John broke. He just broke, and Sherlock didn't know what to do.

After about 30 seconds Mrs Hudson comes up to see what the noise was and is greeted by John in tears and Sherlock looking shell-shocked. She manages to grab Sherlock's attention without alerting John of her presence, and motions for him to hug the doctor. Sherlock obeys. John melts into the detective's grip and before Sherlock can register John's reaction, John has wrapped himself around Sherlock and weeps into the detective's chest. Sherlock looks over to Mrs Hudson, again for support. She now motions to sooth him and again Sherlock obeys, rubbing John's back and gently rocking.

Both sit like this until John seems to calm down, yet the doctor refuses to let go. 

--AN--

Eyy, I am back from the depths of laziness and look the best attempt at emotions I got. How'd I do??

--AN--