"The Party Fiasco"

T W E L V E

I tug my hair out of frustration as I stand there by the door, staring at the mess in front of me.

Everything is still there, but all over the place??

The couch is flipped, the coffee table is pushed to one corner, the tv is lying on its face.

My favourite clock is broken.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I step over the glass on the floor, the vase that used to sit under the clock behind the couch is shattered beyond fix.

Who the hell did this?!

"You're going to pay for putting me through-" I hear Nate grumbling, but he stops halfway "this torture..." he trails off, dropping the bags by his feet.

"I'm calling the cops." he begins to pull out his phone but I grab his arm.

Nathaniel

Her cold fingers wrap around my arm, stopping my actions. I look up at her, confused "what?" I frown, wondering why she's stopping me "don't.." she says softly.

"What do you mean don't? Anna what if they're still lingering? What's to say they won't return? what if they came looking for us?" She shakes her head "just trust me, don't.." her hand slips off my arm, the place where she once had it now burning with absence.

I watch her move around the room slowly and follow her in, I help her push the couch back and place the coffee table on the displaced rug.

"Just go put away the groceries, Nathan..." she huffs, dejected.

I shake my head and move to lift up the flat screen tv. I watch her face twist when lifts the shattered clock with a pained expression "dad is going to be gutted..." she whispers, mainly to herself but I still hear her.

I don't say anything and move to pick up the broken vase. Anastasia takes the groceries into their respective places and I watch her as I place books back on the shelves, I pick up her yearbook and a paper falls out of it. I pick it up and inspect it, when I turn it over I see a picture.

It's Anastasia, Gen and another girl I can't quite recognise at their graduation. I smile at a silhouette I spot in the background and slip the picture back in before placing it on the shelf and joining her in the kitchen.

We silently put the remaining groceries away and clean up the place a little. "Was that your dad's clock?" I asked cautiously as I inspect the TV.

I glance behind me to see Anna staring into space, her cheeks and nose flushed a light shade of pink. She nods "yeah" her voice cracks, she clears her throat and speaks again "yeah, his mother; my grandmother, gifted it to him before she passed away when i was around 6.. she had that clock for I'm not even kidding when I say about 6 decades" she chuckles.

I don't even realize I'm staring at the movement of her lips until she stops talking. My eyes snap to hers and she gives me a warm smile "I ordered pizza about 40 minutes ago.." she mumbles, looking around.

I move my attention back to the TV and I catch her staring at me through the reflection of the screen.

I begin to feel a familiar tension set around us, I think she does too because I see the relief wash over her when the doorbell rings. She flies to the door, pulling it open and thanking the guy.

She doesn't remember the party. But she will at some point, right? I've been avoiding talking to her for several weeks because I just... couldn't.

"My wallets on the stand!" I yell, she turns to look at me "it's alright" she smiles again.

God woman stop smiling at me like that.