"Nate, Dave and the Cave"

T H I R T Y  F O U R

I wake up to the sound of nathan whispering in a hushed tone. My mind is blank, it takes some time for my eyes to adjust to the soft glow of his night lamp, i sit up rubbing my eyes to help them focus but it takes a few moments. When my eyes do manage to focus, i see nathan's broad back through the crack of the door, pacing in the hallway as he speaks softly.

I slip out from under the covers as quietly possible, opening the door a little further to peak into the moonlit hallway. "Dad its 4 in the morning, why are we discussing this- fucking hell we shouldn't be! I can't believe you..." He hisses, his voice laced with anger and disappointment. I frown, what the hell are they talking about?

As bad as i feel for eavesdropping, i still do. "She- dad she's my girlfriend for fucks sake" He emphasizes, "-she's anastasia, the girl who's life you literally ruined. And i have to find out through my best friend in the middle of the night, that the psychopath you bailed out of prison less than a year ago is her rapist? The guy who traumatized her? You're-" He runs a hand through his hair, anger seething off him.

My eyes widen, what did he just say?
Please tell me i heard that wrong.

So many questions are running through my head right now, so many emotions. Anger, confusion, pain.

"Fucking hell, you're the reason she's been living in constant fear the last 8 months... you're also the reason she doesn't remember me." I let out an involuntary gasp, slapping a hand over my mouth immediately as tears cloud my vision.

He did not just say that. Remember him?! What?!

My entire body screams at me to move but i'm immobile, i stand in the doorway in shock.

"Just- please. Shut the fuck up. I'm flying in around 9 am, i'll deal with you when i get there" He sighs, hanging up. He spins around and his tired green eyes meet my teary grey ones.

My lip quivers as i look at him, i hold back a sob "Baby-" I step back "No" my voice cracks "Anna listen to me"

"You've been lying to me!" He shakes his head, his eyes wide with fear as he approaches me "no, babygirl i would never" he holds my hands in his gently. "Listen to me please" He begs, but i can't. I don't have the strength to hear another word.

I yank my hands away "Don't touch me" i whisper, tears running down my cheeks.

Hurt flashes across his face, his arms falling limp by his sides. "Let me explain..." His voice cracks.

I stay silent, not knowing whether or not i want to listen.

But i do know, i do want to listen. I'm too scared to walk away from him right now.

"I- i wish i could explain this without making it sound confusing but i really can't. I can't do it because you'll have too many questions"

I look up at him, anrgy tears spilling down the sides of my face as i scowl at him. "Why can't you answer them? What are you hiding from me? WHAT DO I NOT KNOW NATHAN?!" My scream cuts through the air, my chest heaving up and down from breathing so heavily.

I've never yelled at him like this before

"You wouldn't understand it all right now and its going to take a long time for me to explain all of it just please-" He pulls me into his embrace "please trust me, i don't want to fight you or hurt you" I shove him away "you've already hurt me" i mumble, storming away. I slam by bedroom shut behind me and lock it, falling into my mattress.

I stare at the window for a few moments as everything sinks in before i start sobbing, crying so bitterly my chest contracts from all the heavy breathing.