"The balls that hang on the tree"

N I N ET E E N

Weeks pass in a blur, the only thing occupying me being my textbooks and end of the semester assignments.

Monica's birthday was an absolute mess, i finally managed to get myself an outfit and attend it injured. But i drank my whole body weight in alcohol and regretted it for a whole week.

I skipped a whole weeks dose because of work and skipping meals, and because of my shit hangover so when i had to go for my check up my doctor; Mr smith, yelled at me to be more careful, then apologized and gave me an extra dose.

Nathan and i haven't seen or spoken to each other much, since we both only take english literature and italian together we only see each other four times a week, apart from that i see him when i take my snack and bathroom breaks through the night while i study since he's usually doing exactly the same.

Christmas is now in 13 days and we have 2 more exams to go. Its currently Wednesday evening and i'm sitting in my room crying to gen over FaceTime about how much i hate being in college and how the classes have become more stressful since our exams started.

"I honestly don't see what the big deal is? Its just 5 subjects, that you chose to study!" She sighs, throwing her head back.

Her leg is healed but there's no point in her joining after the semester is done, so she'll be doing an extra month of classes over summer break. "I'm not making a big deal out of it! I'm just so tired and so done with professor Gieorgia, she made us write a 500 word essay in Italian, i'm not even that fluent!" She laughs "you studied Italian for what? Three years in high school?" I roll my eyes "you did too" i mumble, sipping my cold orange juice.

"Speaking of italian, how's lover boy Nathaniel?" She smirks, playing with her chipped black nail. I give her a blank stare "i don't know, i haven't seen-"

"Hey sweet pea, have you seen my red hoodie with the.." nathan bursts through the door making me turn around in my chair to meet his wide eyes and his hair falling over his face in messy waves.

The first thing i notice is his growing stubble, its become more darker than the last time i saw him, my eyes are lined with bags and i just know he's gone through 5 pots of coffee in the last 5 days.

"I uh.. yeah i think its in my closet" i point to the first door to his left. He nods, sends gen a small wave and smile before opening my closet and scanning it, he pulls it out mumbling a quick thank you before he leaves.

When i hear the soft click of the door shut i turn to face a gobsmacked gen, her dark red curls falling over her pale skin, somehow matching her icy blue eyes.

"Oh..my god what did i just witness?!" She screams, her ring covered fingers running over her face like that screaming emoji, making her look dramatic.

"What?" I say obviously, taking a bite of my smoked turkey and cheese sandwich. She gives me a 'are you fucking shitting me?' Look, like i'm supposed to respond with something.

An explanation perhaps..

Gen still has no idea what's been going on between nathan and i, and just the thought of how touchy he's been lately sends goosbumps dancing along my sweater covered arms.

2 nights ago

"Hey.. are you taking a break?" Nathan pops his head into my dimly lit room, my head is buried in my psychology textbook as i scan the pages over and over again, looking for some kind of explanation to a problem given in the paper beside me.

I hum in response, my head nodding the slightest bit as his words practically flew over my head. Its quiet for a few moments before i feel two strong arms wrap around my shoulders, nathan nuzzles his nose in the crook of my neck making me shy away a little from his probably week old stubble.