Crocus

Opening your eyes slowly, you woke up to the sunlight hitting your face once again. All you could think of at the moment was the memory you witnessed after your mother set herself free. After remembering the events that took place recently, your first thought was Zeref. Where was he? Was he doing okay?

Speak of the devil.

You glanced at your right only to see Zeref resting his head on your lap. From sensing the slightest of movement, he looked into your eyes. You could see his worry and shock melting away when he saw you were okay. He quickly wrapped his arms around you, burying his face into the crook of your neck. "Thank goodness you're okay." His breath tickled your skin. All you could think of was holding the man in your arms.

Wrapping your arms around him, you placed a gentle kiss on the top of his head. "Of course, I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" When he pulled himself away, you knew something was on his mind. Zeref was never the type to pull away instantly from a hug. You could sense he was upset. Why was he frightened? You had an idea why he was upset with you, but you wanted to hear it from him.

"Zer, what's wrong?" You asked, tilting your head to the side. The moment you saw his expression changed, you felt a sudden pulse of negatively in you. "You were asleep for two days. What did that woman do to you?"

The way his tone lowered caused you to flinch slightly. He was never the type to show he was angry. Most of the time, he was calm in situations like these. You understood completely why he would be upset. Before you could reach out to him, his eyes were red with black rings around his pupils. Now you knew he was mad. He had never given you those eyes before.

"Zeref, what are you talking about? She freed herself. I don't know what's going on." When you grabbed his toga, all he did was take your hand into his hand, reassuring you that he was alright. "I'm sorry I could not protect you from her. You do not deserve to be burdened by her crimes."

His eyes went back to his natural eye color you fell in love with all those years ago. You felt guilty for not fulfilling her last wish even when she turned her sword onto herself. You still could've saved her. She did not deserve a fate like that. You also didn't want her to murder anyone else. Even when you looked through her memories, you had enough moral to never excuse that for her actions. You accepted the consequences of the side effects either way.

"She asked me to cast Law. Do you think I made the right choice instead of casting it? Yes, it was selfish but still. I should've done more to free her instead of driving her to the point she would take her life." 

You sighed until Zeref tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. "You made the right choice, Y/n. Yes, you did not expect her to take her life, but if you cast Law, there would only be hardships in your life because of the Ankhseram curse." You knew he was right, after all. If you did grant her wish, you would gain immortality as well as the same curse as him. 

"I guess you're right." You smiled faintly until you were taken aback when Zeref placed a gentle kiss on your cheek. "I will get everything ready for our trip to Crocus. Please do not force yourself to get up. Take your time, my love." He placed one last kiss on your temple before making his way to the door of your hospital room. 

You nodded in response before laying back down on the bed. As much as you wanted to leave to Crocus, this bed was too comfortable. Not one minute has passed and you already detected another scent at the door. When you heard the door open, you already knew who it was. The owner of the scent made you smile a bit. Uncovering yourself, you sat up to see Zerina holding a small bouquet. It honestly warmed your heart she would go through the trouble to bring you flowers to brighten your day.