Chapter 5- Her

The next day at school, I walked by Caroline and all I did was smile. She smiled her silly smile back. That's all we had to do. Sometimes, we had our own "secret" language, where we didn't need words to know what each other were saying.

The day went by slow and so did the week. Nothing much happened, which I guess is why it felt slow. Caroline and I hung out a few times, and I saw Liam sometimes, but I never did anything else.

10:30pm Sunday night

As I was sitting on the couch, doing late minute homework, I got a text.

"Help" It read. My mind started racing when I saw who it was from. Caroline. At first, I thought it was just a joke. But then I started to really think. Caroline never jokes around like this. This was something real and serious.

"What's wrong??" I replied. I anxiously awaited a response, hoping she'd reply.

2 minutes later: nothing.

5 minutes later: nothing.

10 minutes later: nothing.

15 minutes later, I got a text.

It said, "do not worry- nothing has happened to me or any of my close friends or family. We are all safe and comfortable. Do not worry"

Immediately my body stopped. This was not Caroline. She didn't talk like that. She wasn't that formal. She put smiley faces and emojis. She didn't talk about her and her family being "safe and comfortable". That was not her.