Chapter 40- Because of You

He paused as if looking for the right words to say. Instead he engulfed me in a hug. "You look absolutely amazing." He whispered. A smile spread across my lips and I realized how much I had been smiling lately. I liked smiling this much. It was because of him.
-----
We left the house at 7:00 and since I had to drive, Liam just told me where to go. I drove in places I had never even seen before.

"Take a left and then we're here." I took the left and parked. We were in front of a tall building. The windows were lit but I was still unsure of exactly where we were. Liam raised his hands and shook them. "Tada...we're here." I looked up and down the building. He laughed. "Just kidding, we're not there yet." He took my hand and we walked up to the front of the building together.

The lady at the front desk told us where the stairs were and we walked...all the way up 50 flights of stairs.

"Just wait, we're almost there," Liam encouraged. We finally reached the top and I was out of breath. I turned and saw it. We could see the whole city from up here. Bright lights, tall buildings, everything.

"Liam," I started. I turned to find Liam and he was right behind me.

"That's not it." He smiled and pointed to the sky. I looked and saw the most beautiful fireworks. They boomed but the sound wasn't overwhelming. Liam wrapped his arm around my waist and we watched the fireworks together. I leaned over the ledge of the building and Liam stood next to me. I knew Caroline was watching right now. Watching me. Watching Liam. Smiling.

"Thank you Liam." I whispered not wanting to ruin the moment. "You're-" I was interrupted with a kiss filled with passion and love.
-----
We sat on the ledge of the building, thankful for the small fence preventing us from falling.
"This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Caroline," I started.

"Or Kristen, or you, or me, or the doctor, or your parents, or anyone else. The truth is, one choice can't do something. It's a mixture of choices and lessons and consequences. Learning and growing and changing. Without anything that has happened so far, this," he motioned to the city, "Wouldn't have happened. Absolutely none of it. And you know who taught me that?" He paused. I blushed and smiled. "You." He kissed me and we both smiled. We sat with our foreheads touching for a while. I know what he was thinking of though. He was thinking of Caroline. And I was too.

"And you know what?" I whispered, staying in the same position. "One day, this choice is going to look small and more choices will arise and more things will happen." I stopped. "But there will be choices, decisions, and lessons that will never be forgotten."
We started naming off things we'd never forget. I could tell what we were both saving for last.

"What Kristen did to us." I said.

"The doctors helping me."

"My mom letting you stay with us."

"The police catching Kristen."

"Anna keeping me company in the hospital." I stated.

"You staying by my side." Liam said.

"You making my life better."

We both took a breath, knowing what was coming next. I looked up to heaven and Liam grabbed my hands. We said the same thing in unison.
"Caroline."