Chapter 14- All About Change

Kristen and I sat there for a while. Probably 15 minutes. It felt like she was putting together the broken pieces of my heart.

We left at about 4:50, and I drove around for a while. I first stopped at the hairdresser. I needed change. Something positive. I got 12 inches of my long, wavy, dirty blonde hair chopped off. I got a pixie cut. Personally, I loved it. I represented the new me. Not the past. I wasn't forgetting, just coping with the pain.

My next stop was me and Caroline's favorite boutique. We lived their quirky style and fun jewelry. We'd go there almost every other weekend. So I went for her. I bought myself a cute little sundress with roses on it, high heeled oxfords, and a gorgeous rose-gold necklace. I also bought something for Caroline. A pretty, purple and silver, friendship necklace. We never bought each other any kind of "bff" stuff, frankly we thought it was pretty cheesy. But I realized that she deserved one. And I needed one now.

My final stop was the park. Yes, the park where Caroline died. I think I needed some closure, though I wasn't quite sure. I stepped onto the pavement and made my way over to the swing set. 20 feet from where she died. 15 feet. 10 feet. 5 feet. Suddenly, I was standing right where my best friend, Caroline died. Nothing was stained red with blood. Nothing seemed out of place. Everything seemed perfectly normal. And I think that was what I didn't like about it most. There were no signs. No signs that something terrible, something tragic, something awful, happened right here.