Chapter 12- The Conversation

That same day, I walked up to Liam at lunch. I told him to meet me in the hallway, and he reluctantly agreed. Once we were out there, I saw him for the first time, up close. His eyes were bloodshot, his under eyes were puffy, and his blonde hair was unwashed. He looked like a mess.

"What do you want?" Liam asked.

"What do I want? Who do you think you are?" I responded, and pointed my finger at him. This wasn't going to end well.

"Listen, I don't know what you're talking about but-"

I cut him off. "I'm talking about Caroline. Your girlfriend? My best friend? The dead one?" The last part made me sad. "What did you do to her?"

He looked nervous. "I didn't do anything. Look, I don't know what you want me to say. I look like a tornado hit me. My grades are slipping. I don't know what's going on."

I didn't believe him. "Oh yeah? Same here. But I SAW you running away from Caroline, WHEN SHE WAS DYING. I don't know if you were part of it, if you killed her, or whatever, but whatever it was, you didn't help her. And I'm guessing you could've saved her if you tried." I was basically yelling and crying at the same time.

"Listen close. I WASN'T THERE. I don't know what you're talking about, but it wasn't me. I didn't hear about her death until the next day. So back off." He answered curtly. And with that, he walked away.

But before he got too far, I yelled, "Just wondering, did it hurt? Did whatever you do to her...did it hurt her?" Tears streamed down my face.

"Leave me alone. And I would imagine a gun shot to the chest hurt."

That part made me upset, but it made me realize something. The police had only told Caroline's family and me what the cause of death was. We never told anyone else.