Chapter 29- Anna the Nurse

The police were the first to pull up and they quickly got hold of Kristen. I took that as my opportunity to check up on Liam. Even across the park, I could see Liam's pink nails. How did we go from laughing and having fun to capturing a murderer and my only real friend being shot in the arm.
"Liam." I paused, tears started to well up in my eyes. I tried to blink them away, but I was no use. Don't cry. Don't cry. The tears flowed out of my eyes and stopped making an effort to stop them. He looked awful. He was pale, barely moving, almost lifeless. "Please Liam." I wiped away a little tear. "I'm so sorry I got you into this. But please don't go. You're my only true friend anymore. Please."
The ambulance pulled up and swept Liam away on a stretcher. I tried to get more information from the medics but they didn't reveal anything I didn't already know.
The medics let me ride in the ambulance with them mainly because I didn't have a car. And because I really didn't want to be anywhere near that beast, Kristen. I sat as close to Liam as I could but it was hard with the 3 medics inside the close quarters of the ambulance. I watched them stick tubes in him, take temperatures, hook up machines, basically anything. I tried not to show any emotion, but I honestly couldn't hold it all in.

I felt like a shaken soda, waiting to explode, but no one would take off the cap so that I can. Or maybe I'm just afraid to take off the cap myself.

We reached the hospital at about 12:30 am. When I got inside I slumped down in a green chair in the waiting room, but I really didn't feel like "waiting".
"Excuse me?" A nurse said as she walked by. I hoped she'd update me on Liam's condition. I was wrong.

"Yes?" I responded, quite tired from staying up so late and having such an "exciting adventure".

"Would you like to call your parents?" She asked, motioning to the phone on the wall. "They are probably wondering where you are." She added.

I nodded and grabbed the phone. "Hi, mom?"

"Hi sweetie, where are you?" She asked, obviously concerned.

"I'm at the hospit-"

"What? What's wrong? Let me get your dad!" She interrupted.

"No, mom don't! It's not for me, it's for a good friend, listen can I tell you the story tomorrow? I'm exhausted right now." I said hopefully.

"Yes honey, I hope they are okay, by the way." She paused. "Where are you staying?" She questioned. Honestly, I hadn't thought about it.

"Um, I really don't know," I answered. Do they let non-patients sleep at the hospital? I wondered. I leaned over to the nurse, holding the phone away from me.

"Can I stay here? Like sleep here? Maybe in Liam's room or something. I really don't care." I asked the nurse.
She looked around, thinking.

"Sure thing," she answered. She looked to be about 24 years old. "Not in his room though, he's still in critical condition." I thanked her and went back on the phone with my mom.

"They said I could stay here, mom." I stated. She said okay, goodbye, and I hung up. The nurse led me to an empty room, for me to sleep in. I thanked her again and she said her name was Anna.

I tried to fall into a deep sleep, but the memories of the hours before kept coming back to haunt me all throughout the night.