trente cinq

"are you sure you wanna do this?" chris asked as he stood with camille, in the next room over his father was alone, unknowingly waiting for camille.

"i was going to say that i'm gonna kick his ass, but that seems a little intense," she laughed the nerves off, "i'm going to verbally kick his ass."

he laughed and hugged her for a bit longer, "that still doesn't sound very good, but okay."

"i'm going." she nodded as if to reassure herself, blonde hair bobbing with her rapid movements, "i'm going to give him a piece of my mind."

and with that she stomped off down the hallway, concealing her nerves to the best of her ability and going over what she was going to say in her head.

before she could stop herself or even think twice, camille found her fist pounding against the wooden door to robert evans' home office.

"come in." his deep voice sounded from behind the door as camille twisted the knob and entered.

"may i talk to you for a minute or two, please?" she asked, putting on an expression that displayed both her constant kindness but also her firm, assertive nature.

the older man nodded and gestured to the leather bound chair that sat in front of a large desk that he sat behind.

"i'm going to talk," she pointed at him with a stern expression poised on her face, "and you are going to listen to me and take this to heart."

he said nothing, just a nod, but it was easy to tell that he was confused.

"i thought about the thing that you said, well you didn't say much, but i thought about what you insinuated when asking about my age at the previous dinner. i know that you don't like me, you've made it very clear. i'm sorry that maybe i'm not the person you wanted chris to end up with. i know that i don't fit the image of who you thought he would be with. for a minute, i thought about apologizing to you for that, but i'm not going to apologize for being who i am. most importantly, i cannot and i will not apologize for loving him, either."

camille stopped and she didn't know why,
possibly to catch her breath. but maybe it was because she was just so angry and needed to stop before she said something rash and overly rude.

"i was talking to scott about when he came out and did you know what he said about you? he said that you were very accepting. so i ask you, why can't you be accepting of us? i know that these situations have their differences, but please. you can hate me, talk shit about me, and you can kick me out of this house if you really want to, but you cannot take away from the fact that i love him. maybe you hate it because you don't understand, so allow me to help you: i love him, he loves me. and yes, there's a fifteen year difference, that might seem foreign to you, but it shouldn't matter because it's love."

she had said everything she wanted to, so she crossed her arms and sat there smugly, proud of her own strength.

chris, who was standing with his mother with both of their ears pressed against the door, was smiling.

"god, i love her." he couldn't wipe the smile from his face, the pride he took in camille "verbally kicking ass" was very open and hilarious.

his mother turned to him with a serious expression on her face, "if you don't marry this girl, christopher, i'm going to be very upset."

chris laughed quietly, which was very difficult for him.

"i'm going to france with her, asking her mom, i'm getting a ring, and then i'm doing it. don't worry about it, i've got it under control."

back inside, no one said anything. camille sat still, waiting for robert's reply but he didn't seem to have one.

"well, camille." he said, looking like he finally enjoyed saying her name, "you're not quite who i thought you were, in a good way of course. i was never expecting you to come into my office and start yelling at me, but there's a first for everything."

she smiled, "i just care a lot, i guess."

"i see that. you're very brave, camille, i admire that. i admire you. and for the record, i never hated you. i suppose you were right, i didn't like it because i didn't understand, but now you've made it clear. welcome to the evans family, honorarily, for now, of course."

she got up to leave, but didn't go until thanking him, "thank you, thank you for listening."

as she opened the door, straight from a cheesy movie, chris and lisa fell forward, seeing as they had placed all their weight on the door they were leaning upon.

"are you kidding me, chris?" she tried to act mad but couldn't stop laughing at her mess of a boyfriend who was currently lying on the floor in front of her feet.

"i just wanted to know what's going on." he tried to defend himself, trying to stand up without looking like an idiot.

camille rolled her eyes, "i hate you."

"really?" he called from where he was walking behind her, "because that's not what you were just saying."

"shut it, evans!"

"i love you too, camille marie!"