18- Memory

Started Typing On – 07/06/2019

Chapter 18- Memory

Author's Pov: A Year Ago- (Before Siya ran away)

Under the bright yellowish coloured bulb sat the two siblings in silent. Viren's attention was focused on the blank little television screen but his head was occupied with the same thought as his little sister, Siya. He takes a quick peek at her, Siya sat in silence beside him with her fingernails getting chewed on by her teeth. Bring his gaze back onto the television he finally whispered, "are you thinking of what I'm thinking, chotu?" (little one)

Her eyes stop to blink realising her brother knew exactly what she wanted to say. Pulling her hands away from her mouth she flipped her body to her brother, now gazing at his clean-shaven jaw and smiled. "Yup," she mutter, standing up from the little mat they had placed beneath them to sit on.

Viren looks at her, catching every little detail from her shining bright happy eyes, her lips curved into a pleasant smile, and her body raising up to ran away when he jumped up getting alert. He pushed her out of the way and ran in the direction she was about to go herself.

Huffing for a good minute and thoroughly disappointed and annoyed—more like pissed then annoyed—Siya gathered herself up and ran after her brother, shouting his name all along. She stepped into her parent's room to see her parents were sitting on the bed, perhaps they were ready to hit the sack until Viren and Siya invaded the personal space.

Her brother was given a cult look and her mother raised an eyebrow at Siya's paralyzed form. Siya passes a small smile to her parents but they were too smart to go ahead with those fake smiles. She glares down at her brother to see him dropping the pillow on the little mattress before laying down on it, passing her an arrogant smirk.

"Too bad, you can sleep in this room tomorrow." The cheerful and playful voice of his was only irritating her. She snarls at him and he just grins back. "It's not even that cold, go sleep in the other room."

Every time it was cold in their area (village) the siblings would drop the extra mattress on the floor in their parent's room and sleep the night together. They couldn't afford a heater, even if they could their father was too old fashion to get one. He believed in moving your muscles arounds to feel the warmth rather than use some temporary gas heater.

Sometimes they'd use the wood for fire but at an hour like this, it wasn't available. Hence, Siya's mother gave them the idea to share the mattress in her room during the cold nights because the more people in one room, the more breathes and warmth.

"But it's cold amma!" She tried to reason. "I want to sleep here as well." She whined as her brother quickly spread his leg to take over the whole mattress, indicating her to leave and sleep in the other room which was hers and Virens.

"Viren." One stern and sharp voice silenced the room so quickly that the smirk and grin on Viren's face had vanished, turned into a thin line. Her mother didn't dare to utter a word and simply gave her children a flat look before laying down and closing her eyes. Siya gave her father an apologetic smile before jumping into the mattress beside her brother.

"Do you like it when baba gets angry?" She hissed a whisper once kicking her brother foot in the dark. The only serious person in their family was their father. He had always been like that.

"Can't even joke around in this house." Viren whispered back. The sadness was evident in his voice followed by a heavy sigh. "I'm cold." He hugged the blanket to himself and she smiled. She cuddled up to her elder brother and closed her eyes, knowing his antics too well for his own good. 'I'm cold,' was another was of asking her to hug him.