83- Ridhi's Pickles

Typed On – 03/05/2020
Chapter 83- Ridhi's Pickles

She woke up at around six to spot the room empty. Rolling onto the other side of the bed Siya reached out for her phone and called Rohan. The number was busy, her eyes frown, who's he talking to? Her grip isn't too firm on the phone which is the cause of it falling flat on her face, earning a growl, when it starts ringing loudly. She winces and rubs her face before answering the phone.

"Hello?" She yawns.

"Siya, where is Rohan? He's not picking my phone." Her mother-in-law questions from the other side.

Her drowsy eyes flick open in alert mode. She sits up—with a jolt—and pulls a muscle in her stomach. It starts to sting but she decides to ignore it. "He—um, he's getting—" Now what? "—food."

Ridhi frowns. "At six-fifteen in the evening?"

"Oh," she quickly brings the phone to her face and peers into the time before putting it back on her ear. "Yes. We—it's raining here so we got hungry. Early." This makes no sense. "How are you? How was the doctor's appointment?"

Ridhi's ego was boosted at the pleasing inquire. Maybe I have been a little too harsh on her. She smiles looking out her balcony. "I've been good. My heart is still weak but the report was positive. But—" but? Siya's heartbeat escalates. "—that does not mean I'll be alive for the next two years."

Siya is annoyed. "The reports were in our favour—regular check-up—then why are you being so negative? Besides, what's happening in two years?" She asks looking around for her clothes. In a heap of pile—neatly folded—were her clothes sitting on the couch. Rohan had folded them properly.

Ridhi's response is quick. "You guess." She is more than happy to accept her daughter-in-law's bluntness with alacrity.

"Umm," Siya mumbles scooting closer to the end of the bed. "Rohan or I would get promoted?" If this isn't the right answer, she's close to giving up already. Her fingertip stretch to the couch as much as she could and gets a hold of her clothes.

Siya has just adjusted her phone in her shoulder to unfold her clothes and start wearing them one by one when Ridhi mumbles, "Correct."

Her eyes shoot up. "So who do you want to get promoted? Me or Rohan?" Siya asks with a small smile. She was reconsidering her behaviour towards the old lady.

His mother doesn't understand one bit of this conversation. "But you both would be promoted together." She injects.

"How so?" She slides her hands inside the sleeves and stands up to fix her top. She was continuing to wear her bottoms—Ridhi's timing was hideous—and hears the old women speak once again.

"Aree, parents. You'll become parents. Hopefully this year I'd become a granny, forget about two years."

Her mouth goes dry. This promotion? God. She was busy fantasizing about her career but her mother-in-law had other plans. Siya knew better than to disagree with the women over the phone.

"Um, my brother is calling so," she trails off.

"Yes, okay. You take care and asks Rohan to call me back."

"Yes, okay. Bye." She flops on the bed massaging her forehead. A curse ripples out of her in annoyance. "No. There's no way I'm having a child in two years."

"Who's having a child?" Rohan voices out exactly what he's heard his wife say. In his hand is a paper bag—the ones you get from the bakery of some sort—and two ice coffee bottles. He hands her one but Siya doesn't take it.