28- 'Not Poor'

The neighbours name is Ravi from now on. I promise not to muck it up.

Started Typing On – 06/07/2019

Chapter 28- 'Not Poor'

Author's Pov:

"Care to explain what's going on with you?" Buzzed Varun's voice in Rohan's ear. Rohan kept his eyes on his food, eating in silence, ignoring the demanding tone of his friends. "I thought friendship changes after marriage and over here yo—"

Slamming the empty glass on the table, he glares at his friends face. "Does the word 'marriage' has to exist in every conversation?" The attention he'd drawn to himself were still watching him, one look given by the angry guy and they look away, resuming to their own gossips. "Nothing changed, ok? I just didn't want to sit behind Mary. She talks too much."

"No she doesn't." He responds quickly. "Payal. I think she's the one you're referring to." Varun's face goes so casual, like he wasn't just annoyed a couple of minutes ago after getting ditched by his friend. He continues to chew onto his Dosa. Glancing at Rohan to see why he hasn't replied back to him he sees his friend's eyes on Siya. This time her back was facing the window and her body was trembling, going up and down as if she's crying.

"Is she cr—"

"Rohan, that dude, her neighbour, I think he's troubling her." Varun whispers, his voice confident and clear. He was damn sure about this and Rohan knew Varun wasn't kidding. Bhatt looks back at his friend to see his face hard and serious. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but what neighbour decides to drop a girl—"

"Young women." Rohan corrects with a curt voice like an English teacher fixing grammar mistakes.

His eyes go up in surprise and then they narrow. He took me too seriously. Composing himself and bring his brain back to track he starts of, "right. Young Women. Who'd drop of a neighbour to work at this early in the morning? He definitely didn't have her number, which states—shows they aren't friends, so—"

Rohan completes his sentence, "—so it doesn't make sense why he'd drop her." Both their eyes go doubtful for a brief second. They voice around them weren't heard.

"That's not even it." He informs. Rohan looks away from the old table and back at his friend, listening like a good friend. "He came in an auto with her but left in a car. Not a normal car but those expensive ones. It looked brand-new. If not new but cleaned like a day ago or something."

The information send a shiver down Rohan's spine. 'I'm Siya's neighbour.' "M-Maybe it was his friends?" Anything could be noticed in his voice right now apart from happiness and lightness. His voice was so thick. He couldn't imagine what wrong could happen.

"It can't be." It was unusual to see Varun so confident and serious, like he's hundred percent sure what he's talking about. His voice is straight up flat, unhappy with Rohan's judgement. "I'm not wrong. I mean, I can be but I don't think I'm wrong. I saw him. He took out the key and sat inside the car like he owned it. He slammed the door shut in frustration like his plan was ruined or something."

"T-Tha—That's—" His voice trails away and he stands up immediately. Walking away without looking back he lets his palms rest on the old tree. It wasn't making sense. She lives in a small house because of money problem. He lives next to her. He should be poor right?

A hand squeezes his shoulder gently and he exhales sharply. "What is it?" his friend's voice comes. Rohan starts of by explaining the incident from the first time he visited Siya's house. He elaborated how she lived alone, the people around—male around her house were usually drunk. How she'd requested him not to tell anyone where she lived.