Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Farrah woke up four hours after she fell asleep and couldn't get back to sleep, not that she was tired. So she got up and started to wander.

"Castiel?" Cas turned around at her voice. "I recognized the trenchcoat."

"Why are you not asleep?"

"I can't sleep. Did for a few hours, but can't anymore."

He nodded. "I am going to heaven to look for anymore information on hybrids such as you. Would you like to come?"

She cocked her head, contemplating. "We'd probably run into some angels that want to kill me, wouldn't we?"

"There is a great likelihood, yes."

Picking up Bobby's angel-slaying knife, she said, "Great. Let's go."

Cas laid his first two fingers on her temple and flashed them both to heaven. He could not have done that if she hadn't been part angel, but now he held tightly to her hand. When he had grabbed it, Farrah had no idea.

"Stay close," he warned, his voice low.

She just nodded and followed him as they skipped through heavens, flying toward the Garden. In the Garden was an entrance to the "underground" heaven, where the angels stayed, the weapons were kept, and where they hoped to find Enochian books on hybrid lore. Surely, Farrah thought, there had to have been one like her since creation.

They arrived in the Garden and Farrah's breath caught. Even Cas's eyes were slightly wide. "This is your Garden, Farrah."

It looked like the Hanging Gardens, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world; or, at least, it's what Farrah imagined they looked like. Large marble columns overflowing with greenery and covered with vines marked the pathway, flowers of every color and shape filled the space around them, and the aroma was so pleasant Farrah nearly sighed.

"Wow," she said.

"You certainly appreciate nature," said Cas.

Joshua flew in, and Cas pushed her behind him. "Relax, Castiel," said Joshua. "I wish no harm to the girl."

"Why are you here, Joshua?"

"I have a message from God."

Cas straightened out of a slight crouch, like he had been preparing for battle, and Farrah came forward, though not far because Cas stopped her.

"What does God say?" asked Cas.

"I wasn't talking to you, Brother. I would appreciate it if you could give Farrah and I a moment alone."

Cas looked back at Farrah. She smiled. "He said he wouldn't hurt me." She didn't trust Joshua, but she wanted Cas to go, seeing that Joshua wouldn't answer until he was gone.

He nodded and walked away, following the path away from both of them.

"What's the message?" Farrah asked. She was ten feet from Joshua, a safe distance, she thought.

"He wants you to stop looking."

"What? Why would I do that?"

"What you are looking for, it will hurt you. You will find the answers, but at a great cost."

"What cost?"

"I cannot tell you."

"That's crap!" she exclaimed, mad at the angel. "You can't just tell me that if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll find answers 'at a great cost', and then not tell me what the cost is!"

"It is not my place to tell you."

She huffed. "Tell me. It's my life!"

"And I have already said too much. No one knows their destiny, Sister."

Farrah huffed. "Fine. I'll quit."

As she walked away, Cas met her. "You look upset."

"Joshua told me to quit looking, because what I'd find would hurt me." She shrugged. "I'd rather not chance it and instead just deal with things as they come along."

Cas flew back to earth. When they appeared, Bobby, who had gotten up for a drink, immediately lashed out and threw holy water on them. Cas wiped his face with his sleeve, but Farrah jumped and started to scream.

Bobby's eyes were wide with disbelief, but he didn't make any move to help her. Cas grabbed a towel, wet it down, and started to pat her wet skin, which was blistering, his face filled with concern.

Dean was the first into the kitchen, being closer to it than Sam, though he followed closely. "What happened? Bobby?"

"They jumped out of nowhere, my hand was on some holy water, what do you think happened?"

Sam put down his gun and walked over to Farrah. She was still blistering, but she had stopped screaming and was just panting. Cas wrung out the towel and rinsed it before lightly and gently wiping her skin down again.

"I-I'm okay," she said, sitting down. "Thanks, Castiel." Her blisters calmed from their angry red state and disappeared almost immediately.

"You are welcome," Cas replied, wringing out the towel and laying it out to dry.

"Sorry about that, Farrah," said Bobby.

"No, really, I'm fine." She moved her arm and winced, but that didn't seem to last long.

"What were you and Cas doing? You scared Bobby, so you must've flown in."

"I wasn't scared," said Bobby. "I was startled. There's a difference."

"Not much of one," scoffed Dean.

"We went to heaven, to see if there was more Enochian lore somewhere."

"And?" prodded Sam. "What'd you find?"

"Nothing. Joshua found us. He told me to stop looking, or I'd get hurt. He said I'd find my answers at a great cost," she said sarcastically.

"What kind of cost?" Dean asked.

She shrugged. "He wouldn't say."

"I think I know," said Bobby.

Everyone followed him to his desk, where he sat and pulled out a big book. As he flipped through the pages, Sam caught a few of the words. "Greek."

"Stories that they used to tell their kids. Fables." He stopped flipping and put his finger on the page. "Rantho, the son of Hades and a human."

"A demigod?" Farrah said. "What's he got to do with this?"

"His story sounds similar to the one you're tellin me. Was lookin for something important, don't say what, and found an angel. Angel told him not to keep lookin; he didn't listen. Two days after he found his answers, guy fell down dead."

"Good thing I'm not looking then."