🔘 Chapter 4: Meeting the Queen

※ Portrait of the Queen, Tiana-Estelle Clarimières ^ : art by @ eriol_S2 on twitter.

Author's Note:

In this chapter, and probably the next until the last, will be written in 3rd point of view. Since our protagonist is a little naive and oblivious, it would be hard for me to describe what he looks like at a scene or what the other characters are feeling in his point of view, and I think it would give more depth to each of the characters' feelings and personality at the same time. As for me, I often get attached to the characters more if I know how they think, same goes for what they think about. I am hoping it would have the same effect on you all, my dear readers (if there's still anyone out there). That's it, please enjoy reading!

*Oh and also, I'm more comfortable at using 3rd point of view in writing so-
\( ̄▽ ̄;)/

___

"Umm...painting, ma'am." Anastasius answered with his little voice, almost sounding like a squeak from a tiny rabbit. Everyone, except a certain lady knight, almost melted at the scene of the child sitting in front of them, tiny legs splayed apart over the grass, startled cat-like eyes staring at them while gripping a drawing pad tightly. The lady just looked over him without any emotion so he felt anxious of what's about to happen to him.

"May I look at it?" The pretty lady asked while reaching out her delicate hand towards Anastasius' direction.

Still awed at her beauty, Anastasius quickly stood up without minding to dust off his shorts and walked towards the inquirer to give her his drawing pad. 'She's really pretty, she makes me regret that I like men.' He thought.

The lady looked intently at the painting, 'This is gorgeous!' She thought, 'Her skin is dark but it doesn't look dirty, her hair is black but it doesn't look plain, her eyes are black but still, it held a hint of innocence...wait, these features.. is this me?' The lady found the painting ethereal, but the longer she looked at it, the more it looks like herself which is unbelievable for she was always called as the "Plain Evil Queen". Yes, she is the Queen but in their Kingdom, dark skin is frowned upon for it is often described as dirty and impure.

Although they're a kingdom of dark magic, they still prefer light colored skin and hair, it's more or less linked to a strict beauty standard that was based on the other more prosperous countries that reigned in centuries before the world became more quiet.

Black hair is considered as the hair of a commoner for it does not stand out, this shattered her pride as the only daughter of the wealthiest Duke in their Kingdom. While black eyes are the symbol of evil and maybe because of that, everything she does is immediately thought of as something created from an evil plan by everyone without even considering her explanation. So she brought it upon the child just to be sure.

"May I ask who this lady is in the painting?"

Anastasius tilted his head, 'Does it not look like her? as I thought maybe my art skills are really trash.'

"I, I am sorry mademoiselle, I dared to paint you but it seems like I failed to capture your beauty." Anastasius (Yuu) bowed in 45 degrees, forgetting that he is not in Japan anymore.

"Why would you say you failed?" She asked, ignoring the mademoiselle even though she's clearly not a maiden anymore being married with the King for many years now.

"Because mademoiselle didn't noticed that the painting was in fact, herself." Anastaius answered sheepishly.

"Do you really believe I look as beautiful as this painting?"

"You are much more beautiful than the painting mademoiselle! I honestly thought you were a goddess at first glance! That is also one of the reasons why I decided to paint you. I am sorry, I should have asked for your permission first." Anastasius bowed again.

'Someone thinks I'm beautiful?' With this question came along a blush and happy tears which made the adult-turned-into-a-child panic. 'Why is she crying?!' He asked himself.

"P-please stop crying" He was about to wipe the unknown lady's tears but was stopped by the lady knight beside her.

"Please refrain from touching the Nation's Queen, Young master." She said in gritted teeth. After the word Queen left the guard's mouth, Anastasius' world suddenly did a whole 360° turn.

'I'm currently talking to the one and only Queen of this Kingdom and I've been calling her mademoiselle this whole time. I also painted her without her permission.'

Because of shock, Anastasius lost consciousness which led to the Queen and the ladies-in-waiting, panicking at the spot.

"Anastasius! Anastasius!"

🔹🔷🔹

"Is he going to be okay?" Tiana, the Queen, asked the royal physician who just checked the unconscious Anastasius laying in his bed. "Yes My Queen. The most probable cause of Young Master's fainting is just stress, does Your Majesty know what caused it?" Tiana thought about what happened the earlier hours, 'Oh, maybe I'm the one who caused it!'

"It seems like this child doesn't know that I am the Queen, to suddenly reveal it to him without notice... I really am an Evil Queen!" She then sobbed dramatically on her palm. The Plain Evil Queen everyone knows is actually just an awkward, dramatic and a literal crybaby, only a few people know this including the King, her ladies-in-waiting, her knights/guards, the royal physician and her son. Everyone except those people see her as a tyrant and a cold-blooded woman.

Perhaps it was because of her elegance that left no trace of her real personality, which is pure awkwardness, and her black eyes that always leaves an impression to every people that it was as black as her soul.

Anastasius woke up on someone's sob, 'She's still crying? I don't think an evil person would be such a crybaby like this.' He thought. Noticing the moving figure, Tiana rushed towards Anastasius' side "Are you hurt? Do you need anything? Are you mad at me?" She asked while crying, 'Your snot is showing ma'am' Anastasius wants to say it but he doesn't want to make the other cry harder. "I'm okay Your Majesty. I am truly sorry for my rudeness earlier." Anastasius gave her his business smile.

Everyone in the room suddenly stopped at their tracks as if in a trance. 'Too...bright and adorable.' They thought. 'Has Young Master always been like this? Rumors said he was such a gloomy child who never left the East Palace and was aggressive to anyone who gets near him.' This is just a sample on what they are thinking as of the moment. It is true that there's a rumor like that going around the palace. As a result, everyone avoids going near the East Palace as to avoid encountering the rumored gloomy prince for they were afraid to be lashed out on.

But this young child in front of them is the complete opposite of that said rumor! He looks like an angel that was lent to them by the gods to spread kindness and happiness to the world. His smile is beyond calming, it was healing to look at!

Anastasius tilted his head, confused as to why everyone stopped moving and was just staring at him. 'Did I say something wrong?'. Because of that small gesture, everyone lost it and cooed together

"Young Master is so cute!!!!!" they all said collectively

'Huh???????'

--

Author's Note:

Quick funfact: the name Anastasius was actually derived from the Greek word ἀνάστασις (anastasis) meaning, "Resurrection"

So yeah, this whole time, protagonist's name is actually an intended unfunny pun.

I'm also gonna be using the protagonist's original name "Yuu" from time to time especially when we're talking about the flashbacks, it would serve as a line between Anastasius (who owns the memories) and Yuu (who's learning those memories).