🔘 Chapter 5: True Story

After just a week, Yuu had learned a lot about the real background of Anastasius' family that were not written in the book.

The first one would be the fact that the Queen is not actually evil, and it was really his birth mother that did bad things to the Queen. However, because the real Anastasius didn't know this, he grew up hating the Queen and the King, his father, accusing them of ganging up against his mother for having a child after just a year of his mother's death.

The real story was revealed to him by the lady knight who was so clingy to the Queen. The knight was especially hostile towards him so he asked her what's the reason of her anger towards such a young child. She mumbled along the line of "Because you might become like your mother.” Yuu was confused at first so the knight told him the real reason why his (Anastasius') mother died.

Contrary to what the maids were talking about when he first got inside the book, his father didn't really love his birth mother, he didn't even plan on taking in a concubine for he loved his wife so much that he doesn't need another woman to satisfy him anymore.

Anastasius' birth mother, named Christine, was just one of the guests in a royal ball the palace once held, she was a childhood friend of the King so she was invited but what they didn't know was that they let a poisonous snake slip into their home.
She was obsessed with the King so at the night of the ball, she disguised herself as Tiana using her strong light magic and visited the King's chamber with alcohol in hand. Things happened and she got pregnant, this caused a fight between the King and the Queen because Tiana thought that her husband was cheating on her.

Despite not wanting a concubine, the King was still pressured into making Christine as one for bearing a royal child.

Christine planned to use this situation to gain the King's love, she tried visiting him every night but was always blocked by the King's knights, but that didn't stop her from trying. She tried scheming against the Queen, spreading rumors about her “evil deeds”, that she's being abused by the Queen behind the King's back. That the Queen hated her because she was the King's first love. She even tried hurting herself to use her bruises as an evidence of the Queen's abuse. But after all of that, the King still didn't give her any attention.

So when she noticed how the King and Queen were starting to amend their love quarrel despite her schemes, she got desperate and decided to use her last trump card to bind the King to her. She threatened him that she would kill herself and the baby inside her if he refused to love her back (now Yuu knows where Anastasius got that yandere personality).

Fortunately, the dagger missed the vital part of her pregnant stomach and Anastasius made it out alive, though his mother still died from severe blood loss.

Only the people in the scene knew what happpened, the royal physician who took out the premature Anastasius from her dead mother's womb. The ladies-in-waiting that were beside the King and Queen when the tragedy happened, along with some knights who were asked to carry the body to the crematorium to be cremated.

The King ordered everyone in the room to never speak of what happened in that room to anyone until their last breath comes, it is to protect the baby from knowing the nature of his birth mother and to avoid scarring him with the possible rumors. (Though this knight had already broken that royal order and told it directly to the child, the King and Queen was trying to protect.)

He remembered how the knight asked him why he didn't look a bit bothered with the whole story. Well, he can't really tell that he's not actually Christine's son because he's not Anastasius so he just said that he doesn't feel any attachment to his birth mother for he had never seen her anyway.

The King announced that the concubine died from giving birth to their son, it was a natural occurrence so no one suspected it. The child, Anastasius, was premature so he is rather small for his age, he had a weak constitution and was not favored by the nobles for being a half-blood, not a pure dark magic welder.

The King and Queen concluded that it would be harmful for the weak boy to struggle in the throne while being surrounded with people who oppresses his origin, they were only thinking of what the boy would go through in the future so they decided to lower his status to take away his opportunity of being the crown prince, after that decision the nobles finally calmed down and decided to accept Anastasius as a true royal. The lowering of status-move is not exactly necessary, only IF there's no other prince that can be chosen as the crown prince. But since the King and Queen's child was a year younger than Anastasius, they needed to find a strong reason to take his right to the throne away and give it to the younger prince.

But it seemed like the everyone misunderstood it as the Queen, bullying the older prince for her son to be the future King. It never occured to anyone that the King would partake in this decision because he is a blood-related father to Anastasius after all, little do they know that the King himself was the one who presented the idea.

Because of the Queen's raging conscience regarding the poor older prince who grew up away from his own father and never even met his mother. She often make visits in the East Palace's garden, hoping to encounter the Prince and apologize to him properly. But the prince never set a foot outside his palace.

Well, Yuu is not the old Anastasius anymore and there's nothing he loves more than the sight of a lively garden. He made it his hobby to venture in the East Palace's garden and paint things he thinks are beautiful. This led him into meeting the Queen. The Queen had already apologize to him a lot of times and he had been reassuring her in return through the whole week. Now they're as close as teenage bestfriends. Sometimes, Anastasius would ask the Queen to be his muse in his paintings and the woman would agree quicker than a hopping bunny.

Anastasius felt ecstatic by the friends he's been making in the Palace, He didn't really asked for more but the rest has yet to come.

--

Author's note:

By the time the kids reach their Highschool age I will be posting a Character Chart to compile all of the Characters' portraits and short facts about each of them.

This is the lady knight btw:

art by @ enaa97 on twitter