🔘 Chapter 7: Life of a Butler

※The East Palace art from the anime 'Shounen Maid'.

___

Icarus' Point of View

I've been serving for the Royal family since I turned 15. Royal Families often take the high-positioned butlers from the same bloodline, and since my father was once the most trusted butler of the late King, it was only right to choose his son to be one of the high-positioned butlers in the Palace. That is why it offended me when the King placed me in the East Palace as the half-blood's butler. My family have been serving for the Clarimières for centuries and they would just give me to an unwanted prince whose mother wasn't even born from our country?

At my first years of taking care of the older prince, I noticed how gloomy he was. He was very pessimistic, he would not take compliments, he even emits this dark aura that would seperate him away from his surroundings. I never really talked to him, I just did my job and that was it. But everything changed when he passed out for 3 days because of a severe cold, I remembered how he smiled at me for the first time on the day he finally woke up. He looked so angelic that I almost cried, thankfully I held it down so I wouldn't look shameful in front of him.

Ever since that day I, no scratch that, we noticed how his personality changed a lot. We've never seen him frown, he always wears his genuine angelic smile. He always praises our hardworks and even presents to help us with the chores, which of course we refused to thoroughly, he had become so talkative, he'll tell us stories from his short ventures on the garden with sparkling eyes and clenched tiny fists.

We would always hold ourselves back from pinching his cheeks. I may look like a brute but I love cute things, but because of that I always tend to spoil him by letting the servants eat with him, let him roam around the garden without a guard and even gives him pastries before or after his scheduled meal time. I never knew I'd become such an incompetent butler just because of how adorable Young Master is.

But in my defense, I'm not the only one whose heart was captured and played around by the Young Master (even though he doesn't seem to notice it). Even the rumored Plain Evil Queen was endeared by his smile and communicating skills that she has now been visiting the East Palace every chance given. Weeks after that, came the Younger Prince. He may pretend that he's not wrapped around Young Master's little finger but anyone who have eyes would definitely notice it (except for Young Master, as expected). Even though the young prince is brimmed with pride, he would still let his older brother call him cute names and make him wear headbands with animal ears that Anastasius sewed in his free time.

The young prince's cheeks would be painted with crimson whenever his older brother praises him as he boast about his knowledge and newly learned skills to us (But of course, Young Master's knowledge and skills are much superior. I take pride on that).

Just thinking about the future ladies (and without doubt, men) whose heart would be stolen unknowingly by Young Master makes me pity them. I hope Young Master would find a lover that will spoil him as much as we do in the East Palace, but that's a goal for another 7 years or more. For the mean time, may we have the leisure to take care of him until he becomes an adult.

--
Author's Note:

I apologize if this chapter is too short for you, I just wanted to show you how endeared everyone is for Anastasius. Also, this chapter was only made to give depth to Icarus' personality since I noticed how rarely I include him in the earlier chapters. I love him ('cuz he's a hunk) so I'll make a whole chapter just for him. That's all toodles~.