Chapter 2

I'm sitting on the couch buckling the straps of my black heels when Julie walks out of her room looking like a Victoria Secret model. She has on a tight dress that leaves little to the imagination. She spent an hour doing my hair and make up after she got home from work. I spent most of that hour telling her not to go too crazy. She loves to wear full make up and heels almost everyday. She says they make her legs look long so it's worth the pain. I however much prefer my converse. My everyday make up usually consists of filling in my eyebrows and mascara, and occasionally eyeshadow when I have the time. But somehow we always seem to balance each other out, she helps push me to try new things and I keep her from being arrested.

"See this is why I don't go out with you!" I say to her.

"What are you talking about? I didn't even do anything!" Julie says defensively while grabbing her matching purse off the kitchen counter.

"You didn't have to, you just come out looking like that," I say motioning to her entire body. "Then when I stand next to you I look like a freakin sack of potatoes!"

"Are you kidding me!?! Look at you! I wish I had those curves! We both look great, okay!? We are not having this conversation." Julie says annoyed at my comment.

"Whatever." I mumble back. I'm not actually mad. Just a little annoyed that she always looks that good.

"You are not going to start this night pouting. Get over yourself and let's go the Uber is ready downstairs!" she says sternly. I try not to smile at her serious tone. Julie has always been the kind of person who has no problem telling anyone how it is. Ever since we were kids.

The Uber ride to the club lasted barely five minutes leaving just enough time for my stomach to get queasy with nerves. I'm not sure why I feel so nervous. I've been out clubbing plenty of times, it's just been a while. I was never nervous before and I had to use a fake back then to get in. The car comes to a stop in front of a building littered with people stumbling in and out of the doors. Julie says a rushed thank you to the Uber driver as she pulls me out of the car behind her.

"Come on! Everyone else is already inside!" she says as she pulls me along after her and into the crowded building. I glance down at my phone, it's ten o'clock now, I will stay until at least midnight before I leave.

The room is so dark it's hard to see the faces of the strangers as we shove our way through the crowd to find our group of friends waiting for us. There is a slight stench of cigarettes in the air and my heels stick to the floor just enough for me to notice. I forgot how much I hate this. Julie is aggressively pushing her way through the overly friendly crowd of strangers. I decide that my best bet is to stare at the back of her head and follow closely behind her so I don't get lost. Suddenly Julie does a high pitch squeal letting me know she has found our group of friends.

Our usual group of friends are standing around a high top table toward the back corner of the club. There's usually six of us. Maya, who Julie and I met in freshman English. Julie gets along with her better than I do. They have similar personalities and Maya will go out with her any day of the week, so they see each other a lot. Then there's Dylan, he is the common frat boy with perfect hair and teeth, wearing his usual khaki pants and button up shirt. Maya and Dylan have been dating for a little over a year now. Standing next to the already drunk Dylan is his best friend Sam. Sam is in the same frat as Dylan. But despite the fact that they are best friends, Sam is sweet, polite, and funny. I like him much better than Dylan who I tend to find obnoxious most of the time. Sam is also much more attractive than Dylan. He has light brown hair that's cut short and always styled perfect. His arms are muscular and look very tan in his white button up. On the other side of the table there is Tabitha. Tabitha and Maya have known each other since middle school so they are really close, similar to Julie and I. Wherever Maya is, Tabitha is usually close by. She is quieter than the others, although she has no problem going out and having a good time. We have all been hanging out since around the start of sophomore year, but I haven't seen them all that much lately. My classes this semester have been killing me and I've been working as much as possible to save money for after graduation.