chapter 4

here's the third chapter!

Dylan pictured above

Dylan 

Documents and files were piled on my desk, the list of tasks I had to do was never-ending. All I needed was a break, but, the title of alpha is not taken lightly. my father had it before me, and his father before him. A huge responsibility, but despite all the trouble that comes with it, I love my job. I received the alpha title when I turned 17, and although I've only had the privilege of being alpha for three years, it feels like its been much longer.  

I was filling in admission for new pack members when my beta, Lewis, mind-linked me that they caught a rogue trespassing on my territory. Rage filled my vision as I stalked out of my office, through the pack house, and out to the front clearing. before I even made it out the front door, the most amazing smell of peaches and vanilla filled the air. I looked around at the pack members in the house, but none of them seemed fazed by the incredible smell. I shook off the feeling of happiness that filled me when I inhaled, and put on my alpha face. the rumors spread have told me to be heartless and evil, so, for the sake of the pack, I put on that persona when I am confronted with non-pack members. 

opening the door, I stepped outside, the smell becoming stronger. my wolf, axel, was pushing at my mental wall to try and tell me something, so reluctantly, I let him in.

"mate!" he sounded "what are you going on about?" I responded in annoyance. "mate! go to mate!"  he nudged me forward. I looked across the clearing, and my eyes landed on two of my warriors, Felix and Mitchell, holding the arms of a small she-wolf, she was probably about 5"3 or 5"4, brown hair cascading down to her mid-back, and her face was hidden by it. I started to walk forward and her head snapped up, eyes closed. I got closer and she opened her eyes to reveal bright green orbs. 

"mate" Axel whispered

I studied her closely, she had long silky hair, and burning green eyes, they held sadness and fear, and I longed to know why. She had light freckles across her pale skin, and she was absolutely breathtaking. I cleared my throat, "leave us" I ordered the men holding my beautiful mate, they reluctantly let go of her arms and left me with her. She stared up at me, as I was almost a foot taller than her. 

"Hello" I said softly, as not to frighten her "my name is Dylan, and you are" she continued to stare at me, in what seemed like shock. I found it adorable that she was at a loss for words, which was only boosting my ego. I smirked "what's your name" I repeated. Her eyes widened slightly, "Riley" she muttered, looking away. 

Riley. It was perfect. I gently grabbed her chin and studied her face again, I was about to ask her more, when she tore herself out of my grip, and started running to the woods. I stood in shock for a mere second before coming to my senses and starting to run after her. She was fast, although not as fast as me. I stayed behind her, calling her name, curious to see where she would go. She continued to run and started calling for someone.

"max?" I heard. Who the hell is max? I thought, my wolf stirring inside me at the thought of her with someone else. "please come out baby!" she continued to call. I forced my wolf in, as he was about to burst from anger. "max! where are you?!" she cried, and proceeded to run faster, letting out a choked sob. I could smell her tears, my wolf pushing me to comfort her, but I needed to know who she was looking for. 

Then I heard it.

"ri ri?" it was a young child's voice, from the sound of it. She started to slow down, frantically looking around.

"max?" shouting, she sniffed the air for a scent and started off in the direction she smelt it. I followed her through the brush keeping a small distance, still having her in my sights. 

"ri ri!" I heard again. This time she stopped and sank to the ground, holding a small body in her arms. Sobs racked her body as she clutched the child. "max" she breathed, the little boy was crying in her arms mumbling incoherent words, and Riley was shushing and comforting him.

The little boy.

The child.

Her child. 

She had a pup. 

><><><

Riley 

I held max to me tightly, sobbing and shushing him as he apologized for getting lost. My tears slowed down and I lifted him up, resting his head on my shoulder. A growl made me jump and turn around. Dylan was standing there, fists clenched, eyes black as he stared at max. 

"you have a pup?" he questioned, sadness and anger evident in his voice. I just stood there, watching him. He nodded in understanding, shifted on his feet, and started to walk away. 

Before I could even think, his name came out of my mouth, like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"he's not my pup" I said. He turned back around and looked me dead in the eyes, green to blue. 

"what?" he muttered, looking away for a moment before returning his eyes to mine. "I said he's not my pup" I repeated "he's my brother" he looked between max and I, realization crossing his features, a blush visible on his cheeks, before smiling softly. 

He came closer, and bent down to look at max. "hi bud" he said gently "I'm Dylan, Riley's mate" my eyes widened when he referred to me as his mate. Max looked up at me expectantly, bringing my face to his, tiny hands on my cheeks. "you never told me you had a mate" he whispered, a frown on his face. "that's because I didn't know until today" I said back, a small smile resting on my lips. Max nodded and buried his head back in my shoulder, "can we go back home now?" he mumbled, eyes fluttering closed. I muttered a short yes, and started stalking off towards the bunker, max in my arms, Dylan following closely behind.