chapter 5

Riley 

We continued to walk back to the bunker, and arrived right before noon. Putting max down, I went to move the leaves blocking the entrance of the place max and I call home. I found the latch and raised the door, revealing the cobblestone stairs that led down. 

"You live here?" Dylan asked from behind me. I jumped, forgetting he was there, and turned to look at him. His eyes were filled with concern, moving them to the open door that lay in front of me. I merely nodded, taking max's hand and leading him down the stairs. the familiar scent of home filled my nose, and a small grin made its way onto my face seeing max run to the tiny couch and lay down. I looked over at Dylan, he was studying the bunker, taking in every small detail. max walked up to him hesitantly, tugging on his fingers. Dylan bent down to his height and smiled "what's up?" he asked softly. I watched as he took Dylan's hand and dragged him in the direction of his room, opening the door and pulling him inside. 

Staring at the door, all of it came to me at once. I had found my mate. He was the most feared alpha in America. He was alone with my little brother in his room. We would have to go live with him. Slowly I pulled out a chair and sat down, the weight on my shoulders feeling like it would crush me. 

Taking deep breaths I closed my eyes and thought of my parents, would they be happy I had found my mate? Mom used to say finding your mate was one of the most exhilarating experiences in a wolfs life, but right now all I felt was fear, for me, for max. Calming my breathing, which I only just realized was coming out in soft pants, I got up and went to Max's room. There, sitting on the floor was my baby brother and my mate, playing with lego. the big bad alpha that every wolf was scared of, was playing with lego, on the floor, with a five-year-old. I put my hand over my mouth to stifle my laughter, and snorted, quite unladylike. Dylan whipped his head at me, a blush coating his cheeks, a sheepish smile resting on his lips. 

"Ri ri! come play with us! we're building a house" max squealed when he saw me standing in the doorway. 

"no bud, I came to ask what you want for lunch" I replied, smiling. he frowned, looking down at his lego house then back up at me. "PB and J, please" he muttered, frown still on his face. "how about a cookie as well?" I asked, hoping he would cheer up. The frown disappeared, replaced by a grin, which I took as a yes. Turning to Dylan, I found him staring at me, smirking. "um, do you want anything?" I mumbled, crossing my arms over the large t-shirt I was wearing, suddenly feeling very self-conscious. "water is fine, thank you" he replied, not taking his eyes off mine. Nodding, I left the room to go prepare food for max, and a glass of water for Dylan. 

20 minutes later, food was on the table, and max was racing out of his room flinging himself onto my lap. I chuckled and lifted him off my lap and onto the chair, standing I started to go to my room, to pack the things I would need. mom had explained that when mates find each other, they move in together, and that when dad asked mom to move in with her, it wasn't a question, more like a demand. Dylan being an alpha was a lot more 'clingy' so I knew he would not take no for an answer regarding my moving in with him. And he would have to deal with the fact that max would come with.

I took the duffle bags out that I purchased when we first found the bunker, in case we needed to leave suddenly. Bringing them into my room, I started taking my clothing out from my small closet and filling the bags. I had bought four, two for both me and max, although we didn't have nearly enough stuff to fill them all. I neatly folded all of my clothes and put them into the bag, then went over to my picture was and started to carefully peel all the drawings max made, off the wall. 

Finally, after an hour, all my clothes and the rest of my belongings were packed. Taking the other duffle bags, I went into Max's room, once again they were sitting on the floor playing with his legos. I smiled and made my way over to his closet, taking out his clothes and shoes, and folding them into one of the duffles. 

"Ri ri?" I turned around, max was staring at me with tear-filled eyes. "you're leaving?" he asked, the tears escaping his eyes. My eyes widened, he thought I was leaving him. Rushing to him, I pulled him into my arms. 

"No baby, I'm not leaving, we're leaving. That's why I'm packing your stuff" he sniffled and looked up at me "where are we going?" before I could answer, Dylan interrupted "you guys are coming to live with me" he said with a smile, crouching down to where I was sitting on the floor with max on my lap. "Would you like that?" he asked "then we could play with legos all the time" a smile broke out on max's face, he obviously loved the idea of someone playing with him all the time. Nodding, he got off my lap and went back to playing with his toys. 

Dylan looked at me and motioned out the door with his head "can I talk to you?" he questioned, I nodded slowly and followed him out of the bedroom, into the small living room. "Are you- um, are you okay?" he asked, eyes filled with worry. Confused, I nodded, which only made him look irritated. "are you sure?" he coaxed, hoping I would continue, tell him all about me and my miserable life. I had just met him why does he think I would just- just run into his open arms and tell him everything. That's not how it works, at least not with me. And so I snapped.

"Why do you even care!?" I screamed, quickly putting my hands over my mouth, to stop myself from continuing. "why do I care? I care because you're my mate, it's my job to care!" he shouted back, eyes slowly darkening "you've barely even talked to me since we've been here, I want to know more about you!" he  cried, by now we were both standing, my back to the wall "I want to hear your story" he pleaded "please" his eyes held sadness, longing even. He was begging me to tell him, to overlook the walls I had built to protect myself, to protect my brother.

"I don't understand" I stated softly "my story's only one of pain" he had backed me against the wall completely, trapping me, "then let me fix the pain" he whispered, our lips mere inches from each other. His hand came up to caress my cheek, sparks dancing on my skin from the contact. Dylan smirked at the effect he knew he had on me, an involuntary shiver going through my spine. 

The sound of max calling me broke us out of our trance, I used that as an excuse to slip away from his embrace, quickly walking back to Max's room. He sat on the floor, the duffle bags I had packed against the wall, "if we're moving, does that mean I have to leave my toys?" he asked in a quiet voice. Chuckling, I sat down next to him and started gathering his legos into one of the bags "why don't you choose three of your favorite toys to bring with. Okay?" I said hoping he wouldn't be upset about leaving some of his toys here. He agreed and started putting the rest of his legos into the bag. I figured he could finish on his own so I stood up, only to see Dylan in the doorway, smiling at me. "is your stuff packed?" he asked, nodding I went to pass him, but before I could get to my room he grabbed my arm, stopping me. 

"Please, talk to me" he begged, my mouth hung open like a fish gasping for air, I was completely speechless, my mind was blank, I had no idea what to say to him. I really didn't think he would be this persistent. "there's nothing to talk about" I muttered, finally finding my voice. "let's just go. Max is ready." 

So that's what we did. Dylan had a car brought to the edge of the woods, he loaded the bags into the trunk while I put max in the car seat that was brought as well. I went to open the passenger door when Dylan beat me to it and opened it for me. Looking up at him, I noticed a hint of longing in his eyes, but it was quickly masked when his lips quirked up in a tiny smile. "ready to go" he asked, I nodded and got into the car, strapping myself in. The entrance to the woods that I knew so well started to disappear as he drove down the narrow road. As the trees became a blur, it started to rain. The pitter patter of water on the roof relaxed me, and soon enough I was asleep.