chapter 21

Riley 

Three guards escorted me to the shelter, into the pack house living room and through a secret door behind by the mantel. We walked down a narrow hallway, down a flight of stairs and further under the house. It was dim, the only lights being the small torches on the walls. As we walked the guards began blowing them out, flooding the corridor behind us in darkness.

At the end of the hall was a big metal door, which creaked when it opened. I stared in awe at the room in front of me. It was huge, shelves filled with canned food and all sorts of supplies lined the walls. Bunk beds stood parallel to each other through the room, the lights were bright and soothing, giving off a calm aura.

Women, children and elders sat on the beds, and on the floors. Mothers were clutching their children, clearly scared of what was to come. I scanned the room for a more familiar face, but came up empty. Where were Alina and Mel? And Nichole? And max.

Before I could take another step, max wrapped his arms around my legs. I picked him up and held him in my arms while he cried.

"Its ok baby" I whispered, but he kept sniffling into my shoulder.

"I thought you weren't gonna come"

"Of course I came, I would never leave you maxy." I held him closer and walked further into the room. All eyes were on me as I walked, and finally, I spotted Alina sitting with a group of kids that looked her age.

She yelped when she saw me, and engulfed me in a hug. "I'm so glad you're ok!" she exclaimed. I laughed and pulled her away from me, taking her hand in mine.

"Where are Mel and your mom?" I asked and scanned the room again. When I still didn't see them, I turned to Alina.

"They didn't make it" she whispered

"What?" I breathed, "What do you mean they didn't make it?"

"Mom mind linked me and said that she and Mel went to hide. We have some safe rooms in the walls, they'll be ok."

I just nodded and sat down, with max still in my arms. I turned my head and saw a little girl sitting next to me, looking at him.

This must be tia.

"Hi luna" she whispered

"Hello, you must be tia" I replied with a smile, "Max has told me all about you. And please call me Riley."

She grinned widely, and max shifted in my lap to look at her. Her smile grew as he took her hand and closed his eyes. She shifted closer to me and eventually lay on my shoulder closing her eyes as well.

The room was mostly dark, except for the lanterns on the walls, like in the corridor, but the somber mood made it feel much darker.

The air was cool, but it felt stuffy. All the worry drowning out any hope. Children were playing, mothers holding babies, elders talking amongst themselves. But even with all the distractions, the atmosphere was tense.

We sat there for hours, and any noise from above made everyone go completely quiet. Once and a while a sharp pain shot through my chest, and someone would cry out, gripping at their hearts. A pack member had died.

Eventually, almost all the people in the shelter were asleep, except for a select few. Alina had fallen asleep on a boys lap, he looked about her age, maybe older; he had a cast on his arm, which was why he wasn't outside fighting.

A loud bang jolted everyone out of sleep. I gently lifted max from my lap and placed him next to a now awake tia. Slowly, I made my way closer to the door, signaling for everyone to move further back into the room. The large metal door shook again, the bang louder than before.

Suddenly the door burst open, revealing a man dressed in all black. He was huge, taking up more than half the doorway. His scent was putrid, and I heard some pack members behind me gag.

He stepped into the room, "Hello luna" he smirked.

"Get out of here, rogue" I said calmly. I wasn't afraid, I would protect my pack with my life, no matter what.

"I don't think so sweetheart" he advanced forward and grabbed my arm, pulling me forward, "you're coming with me." Growls sounded throughout the room, my pack defending me against the enemy.

"Ri ri!" no, please no.

Max came barreling up to the rogue and started attacking his legs, which had no effect because he was barely up to his knees. He pushed me away and grabbed max, extending his claws to my baby brother's neck. Any tighter and max's throat would be slit.

"You come with me or I kill your little pup" he sneered. I nodded slowly and inched closer, putting my hands up to show I meant no harm.

"Just let him go, please I'll do anything" I sounded desperate, but I didn't care. This was my baby brother, I wouldn't put his life at risk.

"Good." He threw Max to the ground, but before I could get to him, the rogue grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the shelter.

"Stay in the room, and barricade the door. Don't let anyone who is not part of the pack inside." I spoke through the pack link, but only to the people in the shelter. If Dylan knew about the rogue and what happened, he would go ballistic.

I was pulled through the long corridor again, the torches going out as we moved. Finally, we made it to the living room. Dead warriors littered the floor, the air smelled of blood, and it was pitch black outside. There was no sign of life, all that was left in the space from the pack house to the forest where the bodies of my dead pack members.

"So..." I tried to make conversation "what's your name?"

The rogue growled, signaling that I was not meant to speak.

"I should at least get the courtesy of knowing my captors' name" I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Typical kidnapping.

"It's Malcolm" he grunted.

I just sighed, the chances of me being released and getting safely back to my mate were pretty much zero to none, so I might as well make the best of the situation and try and find a way out.

"Where are you taking me?"

"To my alpha" he was a rogue, which meant his alpha could only be one wolf. I was basically being sent to my death.

"What is he going to do with me? Do you think he'll kill me? Is it-"

"Quiet girl! I know nothing of what my alpha wants with you. If you don't shut your mouth I will shut it for you." he growled, I clearly made him irritated, good, that's what I wanted. Maybe he would get so fed up with me, he'd let me go.

No, that was stupid, this man obviously didn't want to die, and he would if he disobeyed the rogue king's orders. This was going to end with me a captive at the hands of the very man that wanted me dead, and there was nothing I could do.

We must have been walking for an hour before Malcolm stopped and pulled my forward.

"Were here." In front of me was a camp, it was packed with men, all rogues, circled around a huge fire. Tents were set up by the perimeters of the clearing, but no one was on guard. They all seemed to be calm and uncaring, while they laughed and drank with their brothers.

A man was standing closer to the fire, he was older, probably uncle Leo's age. Which made me sure he was the rogue king. His stance was confident, and he was laughing along with his men. They looked so... normal. How could such an evil man behave in such a regular manner?

Malcolm pushed me forward, and so I walked straight into the belly of the beast.