chapter 15

I said I would update so here it is!

Riley

"Riley before I tell you anything you need to understand that all the problems that are arising have a much deeper source." Leo said.

I nodded, and he started speaking.

"I met Natalie when I was 19, she was 17. Your dad and I were going with Alpha Samuels to a meeting with a pack in the mountains. Natalie was the daughter of the alpha we were going to meet. After I had seen her, her father forbade me from taking her back with me, because I was of a lower rank. We snuck out to see each other, but her twin brother caught us eventually, and said that he would stay quiet if I promised to always protect her and not to hurt her in any way. Of course I agreed because she was my mate, and I would never let anything happen to her. When she turned 18 she left her pack and her brother became alpha.

"We had gotten married when I was 22, and that same year you were born. By the time you turned ten, we still hadn't had pups, and we realized that Natalie couldn't have kids. When you were 13 there was a rogue attack, and she was killed. I was devastated, she was my mate and I loved her, I still do. After her funeral her brother lashed out at me, saying it was my fault, and that I had promised to protect her but failed. He was right. I had failed. He had gone on a rampage, he tried to kill me and killed everyone who got in his way, so I went into hiding. Eventually, I created a small pack of wolves, rogues or survivors of attacks from Josef, Natalie's brother, who became the-"

"The rogue king" I cut him off in a whisper. He nodded and looked at me, and max who was sitting in my lap, listening intently to the story.

"He was so blinded by rage and pain from losing his sister that he hadn't even noticed I disappeared, but he had remembered your parents from my and Natalie's wedding. So he tracked them down and killed the whole pack. Somehow you escaped with max, and when he saw me a few months ago watching you, he connected the dots and, here we are."

"So, the rogue king is after me because he thinks you killed his sister?" I asked quietly, clutching to max, who was asleep in my arms. I knew the rogue king was powerful, he killed my whole pack. Now that I knew he was an alpha, we didn't stand a chance. It would be better if I left. He was after me and Leo, but if we disappeared then he would leave Dylan's pack to look for us, right? Max could stay here with Mel and Alina, and he would be safe. I lay max on the couch and turned yo my mate.

"Dylan..." I said softly. His eyes turned cold, fists clenched at his side.

"No, Riley. Absolutely not." He snapped.

"Don't snap at me" I growled "You don't even know what i was going to say-"

"You're not leaving me" he gritted out. I guess he did know what I was going to say.

"Its for the best Dylan. If i leave, you'll be safe. Max could stay here with you, and-"

"NO!" he roared "you wont leave me, not after i just found you! My pack needs you, max needs you, I need you" he said the last part quietly, shoulders sagged. I tried to make eye contact, but he kept avoiding my gaze.

"Riley, Dylan and i have enough allies combined to keep you and max safe from Josef. He won't get you." Leo reassured, his eyes drifted to my mate who was looking at me intently.

"I don't want anyone to get hurt..." I muttered.

"No one will get hurt. I'll make sure of it" Dylan insisted, pulling me into his arms. Sighing, I nodded and sunk further into his hold. Fighting with him wouldn't achieve anything, it would just make him mad and more persistent on keeping me in the house. So, for now, I would lay low and let Dylan figure out what he wanted to do about the 'rogue' problem.

><><><

Dylan

After Leo had taken max to his room to sleep, Riley and I stayed in my office to talk about what she said. We were still on the couch, my arms around her waist, her head on my shoulder.

"How could you say that?" I whispered.

"Dylan..." she replied sadly "I can't let anyone get hurt because of me."

"No one's going to get hurt. You're the future luna of this pack, we'll protect you. We have allies who will help us if we need it. Your uncle knows what he's doing. When will you understand that you're safe here?"

She couldn't leave me, I need her. This pack needs her. Max needs her. Everyone she thinks she's trying to protect will only get hurt if she leaves. Not that I'll let her.

"I'm sorry" she mumbled, subconsciously nestling into my shoulder.

"Just don't leave me" I replied and tightened my grip on her waist, nuzzling my face in the crook of her neck. She sighed and nodded, and started running her fingers through my hair. I groaned and placed a light kiss on her collarbone, unleashing a small gasp from her mouth, and a shiver through her body.

Smirking against her skin, I continued to kiss up her neck making my way slowly to her mouth, trying to find her sweet spot. She was stifling a moan, but failed when I kissed right below the crook of her jaw.

Found it.

"D-dylan" she whimpered "stop, n-not here"

I stopped and rested my head back in her neck, breathing heavily. I wish I could finish what I started, but she wasn't ready.

"I'm sorry" I muttered. She simply chuckled and kissed the top of my head lightly, and continued to stroke my hair.

"It's ok" she whispered "lets go to bed"

I sighed and got off the couch, dragging her up with me and we walked up the stairs hand in hand. Once we got to my- our room, I stripped out of my shirt and pants and handed my shirt to Riley.

"Turn around" she said, making a spinning motion with her finger. I could hear her taking her sweater off, and I wanted to turn to face her, but I knew better, and I respected her privacy.

"Ok, I'm done" I heard and when I turned around I was left completely speechless. She let her hair down to cascade around her face and my shirt came down to mid thigh. She was beautiful. My eyes followed her as she got into bed, pulling the covers to her waist.

"...dylan?"

"What?"

"Are you done staring?" she smiled. Of course I was staring, just my luck that she caught me. I nodded and climbed into bed next to my mate, wrapping my arms around her small waist and nuzzling my head into her stomach.

"Goodnight Dylan" she whispered

"Goodnight my love" I replied, and fell into a deep sleep in Riley's arms.