chapter 17

Yay, an update! 

Riley

Living with Dylan and his family was the best thing that had happened to me and max. After losing our parents and our pack, I didn't think I would ever be happy again. But here we were, I was with my mate, and Max had made friends in the pack.

Dylan and Lewis had been working non stop with Leo and other packs to try and find and stop the rogue king. Since they had been in and out of the pack house, I had been spending time with Alina, Mel, and Nichole.

"I can't wait until I find my mate" Alina sighed dreamily. She was only 14 and already boy crazy, Mel also had yet to meet her mate and she was my age. Hopefully, she would find hers soon, someone who would make her less serious and brooding.

"Oh I can't wait either!" Nichole squealed, turning to Mel she continued "isn't it about time you started to go and look for your mate dear?"

There was a smile on her face but we could all see it was too sweet to be real, she wanted Mel to find her mate, and soon.

"Mom stop, I'm not going to go looking for my mate, we're not talking about this again" before any of us could say anything she stormed out, heading up the stairs to her room. Nichole followed her, which left Alina and I alone on the couch.

"Is she ok?" I asked, I was genuinely worried about her. Despite our rough start, Mel and I had gotten closer over the past few weeks we've been here. She had become what I would like to consider a friend, even a sister.

"Ya, she- um, she actually found her mate already" Alina replied quietly "he was one of the warriors in a different pack. He died in battle, she had only met him that day. It was really hard for her. That's when she started to become more closed off and serious."

She lost her mate? I couldn't imagine how that must have felt for her. The mere thought of losing Dylan had my wolf howling in pain.

"She doesn't like to talk about it so don't say anything unless she brings it up. And don't tell anyone either, I'm the only one who knows besides you now." Alina finished, getting up and moving in the direction of the kitchen.

Melanie had lost her mate in battle, even though they barely knew each other, the mates pull was strong, even at first sight. No wonder she was always closed off, the only time I had really seen her happy was when she was with us girls and max.

It was rare, but I hoped that she got a second chance mate. She didn't deserve to be unhappy her whole life.

With that thought, I set off to find Dylan. The talk with Alina had made my wolf upset and anxious to see her mate.

><><><

Dylan

I hadn't seen my mate all day. My wolf and I were restless and I was sick of working 24 hours a day. The only time I got to see Riley was when I went to our room at night, but she was always asleep, so I never got to spend any real time with her. She had officially moved into my room last week, and falling asleep next to her was amazing, but I wanted more.

My train of thought was lost when I heard a light knock at the door. Riley's soft smell wafted through my nose and I immediately smiled at her when she walked in. She slowly made her way to the desk and sat down in the chair across from mine.

"Hey" she whispered, smiling slightly. She was adorable, no beautiful. And she was all mine.

"What are you doing?" she asked

"Just pack work" I replied with a frown, I just wanted to be done for the day, but I still had tons of paperwork to fill out and organize.

"Need any help?"

What?

She wanted to help me? With paperwork?

"I guess so. Are you sure though? It's pretty boring" she just shrugged, coming around to my side of the desk with the chair.

"I have nothing to do, everyone is busy"

"Ok" I said smiling. She was helping me with pack paperwork, just like the luna would.

"What do we have to do?" she questioned

"Most of these are complaints or requests from pack members. Some of them are forms for entry to the pack. We have to organize them by category and then fill them out and file them into the cabinet over there." I replied, pointing to the large wooden bookshelf filled with boxes of files from the pack. I took pride in how organized it was, all sorted by category and then alphabetically.

She nodded and started taking papers from my desk, sorting through them and putting them into different piles. I admired her while she worked, she looked focused and every now and then the space between her eyebrows would crease.

"Are you going to sit there and stare at me all day or help me?" she mumbled quietly, my eyes widened slightly. I had been caught. Not that it was a crime, I was allowed to look at her, she was mine, my mate.

"Sorry" I chuckled, starting on the paperwork in front of me.

After mere minutes of silence, I spoke.

"Go out with me"

"What?" she said, a confused frown on her face.

"Go out with me, on a date, tonight" I replied pleadingly. I knew she wouldn't say no, but I wanted to hear her speak again.

"I- ok. But why?"

Smiling, I took her hand in mine.

"You're my mate, I want to take you out on a date as mates would. I haven't really been able to spend time with you because of work, and I really want to"

She smiled and leaned in, pecking my cheek lightly. Sending sparks through my whole body.

"Id like that" she replied. I smirked, already having something I think she would like planned.

"Great, I'll pick you up at 7"