chapter 11

Here you go, chapter 11. Enjoy.

Dylan

I was so close, so close to my mate finally accepting me, to kissing her. I could feel her warm breath on my lips, but lewis had interrupted, informing me that a small group of rogues was spotted near our northern borders. So as much as I didn't want to, I pulled away from my mate.

I shifted as soon as I got to the treeline, and made my way over to the borders to meet lewis. When I got there my beta and four patrol guards were facing a small group of rogues. There were about five of them and they looked angry.

Lewis handed me a pair of sweatpants "What's going on here" I growled.

One of the guards, Scott, turned to face me, "We caught these filthy rogues trying to trespass on our territory. What do you want us to do alpha"

"What do you want with our pack?" my question came out as more of a demand as I looked at the rogues. They were disgusting, they smelled of rotting flesh and had dirt all over their faces and clothes.

One of them stepped up and started speaking "We don't want any trouble, a young girl, probably around 18, came into your territory a few days ago. She's a rogue like us, our alpha has been looking for her for a very long time. We came here to get her, that's all"

Before I could answer a small, and very quiet, gasp came from behind us. I slowly turned around and saw my beautiful mate, her eyes were glassy and her whole body was trembling.

"Riley. What are you doing here" I said. She just shook her head and started moving backwards into the trees.

"Oh Riley, the kings been looking for you" one of the rogues taunted. Looking for her? He would not take my mate from me, she was mine. I growled at the rogues and turned to the guards "deal with them" I snapped, and looked back at Riley.

She was gone.

><><><

Riley

I know he said to go back to the house, but I couldn't help myself. Dylan looked troubled, and I'm positive that someone mind linked him. So I decided to follow him, as soon as he was out of sight, I ran into the woods. He kept running and I weaved through trees and over logs to keep pace with him. I was worried that if I shifted he would smell me, and he hadn't yet while I was in human form, it was better safe than sorry.

I continued to follow him until he stopped and shifted, I instantly turned away and hid behind a tree, as he was very naked. When I heard him speak and I was sure he was wearing clothing, I stuck my head out from my hiding spot.

Dylan, his beta and four other guards were surrounding a small group of rogues. They looked angry and Dylan looked like he was about to pounce.

I tried to be quiet, but when I heard what he said, that their alpha was looking from me, the gasp escaped my lips before I could stop it.

Rogues did not normally travel in packs, the only rogue alpha that existed was the rogue king. How could he know that I was alive, if he was looking for me... I might as well be dead. Tears welled in my eyes and I started to tremble, Dylan was speaking but all I could hear was a soft humming.

"Oh Riley, the kings been looking for you" one of them said, he was wearing a smirk and I knew he was enjoying my fear. As soon as Dylan turned I bolted back into the woods, tripping over my feet as tears streamed down my cheeks.

I didn't make it far before I collapsed, my pants ripping under my knees from the fall. My body was shaking with silent sobs and I couldn't help but think of my parents. It had been a while since I had thought about them, if he found me, I would be with them. Max could stay, here he would be happy with me. Then I would finally be put at peace.

My breaths started to quicken and soon enough I was having trouble getting air into my lungs. I hadn't had a panic attack in a very long time, and I had completely forgotten how to stop it.

'I can't breathe' I thought, 'why can't I breathe'

I started crying harder as I kept gasping for air, my hands came up to my throat and I started to scratch at it.

Suddenly warm arms encircled me, and sparks traveled through my body. My hands were taken off my neck and I was pulled into a hard chest.

"It's okay" I heard. I just shook my head.

"Just breathe, you're okay, you're safe" Dylan said calmly, but I started to shake again. I wasn't okay, the rogue king found me, and he was coming.

He pleaded, he tried everything to make me stop, but I couldn't "Riley please calm down. I won't let them get you. I promise I will keep you safe."

"No... no, you don't understand. He has an army" I choked out, I could breathe a little bit better now, but the flow of tears from my eyes hadn't slowed. Dylan and I were against a tree, me in his lap, his arms around my waist.

"An army of rogues?"

Nod.

"And you've seen the army"

Nod.

"Then we'll fight them. They're not going to hurt you, or max. I won't let them take you away from me. Not after I've just found you." he sighed and kissed my forehead "now go to sleep, you're safe"

><><><

I woke up in an unfamiliar room. The walls were black, a grey rug covered the floor, and the huge king-sized bed I was in had crisp white sheets. The intoxicating smell of Dylans cologne filled my nose, and I immediately knew I was in his room. It was already dark outside and the only light in the room was from the moon.

How long was I asleep?

I slowly got out of the bed and walked to the bathroom, located right next to what I assumed was the closet. As I stared in the mirror I noticed how horrible I looked. My eyes were red and puffy and had big dark circles under them. My hair looked like a family of birds was living in it, and I was wearing nothing but a grey t-shirt that reached my midthigh. Had Dylan changed me?

Sighing, I turned the sink on and splashed my face with cold water, hoping that it would make me look a little less... dead. After deciding I was somewhat presentable, I left the room and wandered the hallways, trying to remember which way it was to the living room.

I stopped when I heard talking coming from one of the rooms on the first floor. I quietly edged closer until my ear was on the door.

"I don't think we can trust him" I heard. This must be Dylan's office.

"I need to hear what he has to say. If what Riley said is true, that the rogue king has an army, then we need all the help we can get."

"If you think he's okay, then go for it. When did he say he was coming in?" Lewis. That was Lewis, the beta.

"Tomorrow. Okay, we'll discuss later, I'm going to check on my mate."

Crap.

I ran as fast as I could back up the stairs, trying not to make too much noise. When I made it to the third floor I looked around nervously trying to find Dylan's room. I kept walking and stopped by two black double doors. Of course. Quietly I slipped through the door, only to be faced with my mate, who was standing by the bed, staring at me with a smirk.

Double crap.